freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Comments We All Heard From Our Families During Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Coming home for Thanksgiving has its countless perks: the food, sleeping in your own bed, meeting with old friends, and, of course, reuniting with family. And while reuniting with family is one of my personal favorite perks, sometimes what comes out of their mouth is not exactly what I want to hear during this jolly time of year. Some infamous phrases include:

1. “How’s the boyfriend?”

You know, I don’t know how he’s doing, Aunt May, since I don’t know him.

2. “What are you studying again?”

This one’s valid since I recently changed my major… again.

3. “Honey! You need to be more careful with what you’re eating!”

This one is just MEAN I don’t even know how to answer it. I know they’re looking out for me but they could say it in a much nicer way!

4. “So, have you decided what you want to do with the rest of your life?”

I wish I knew tbh.

5. “Hmmmm, that’s not gonna get you much of an income.”

Aren’t I supposed to do something that makes me happy too?

6. “You are becoming such a beautiful and successful young woman!”

And while they may sound like the biggest critics, we should know that they only want the best for us and love us deeply.

Remember to think about those things you are grateful for and spread joy this holiday season! Hope everyone has a yummy and happy Thanksgiving!

Maria is originally from Maracay, Venezuela and moved to the United States in 2006. She is currently serving as an editor for Her Campus FSU. She is a Media Communications Studies student, with two minors in General Business and English. Maria is currently a senior and post-grad plans are in the works, but currently TBA. The job she is striving for is to work in the marketing team of a TV network, film production company, or high-tech company. Some things she likes to do in her free time are roller skate, journaling, and working out!
UCF Contributor