jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Change for the Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As I have been rolling through my first semester in college, it has come to my attention that everyone has different experiences. It’s a huge step up from high school, and there are countless ways that people deal with the change.

I personally have been having an amazing time so far, filled with amazing opportunities and nothing but success. Just because I’m having a great time, doesn’t mean I haven’t had my struggles.

One of the best and worst things about this day in age is social media, but please be warned that what you see is not always what you get. I have noticed many examples of people fortifying their accounts with what they want people to think they are doing, and not what actually makes them happy. I’m guilty as charged. But please don’t read into these as an excuse to assume how someone is handling the current situation that they are in. Instead, try picking up the phone and calling or scheduling a FaceTime date with them. It shows that you care, and you’ll get the real deets.

As for your unique college experience, take each opportunity with a grain of salt. Everyone takes a different amount of time to find their niche. If you’re not comfortable yet, don’t give up hope, I promise there is something out there for you.

Take this time to explore yourself and try things you might have never thought of before. You never know when you’re going to run into your future employer, significant other, or best friend. Make the most of every situation, and don’t sweat the small stuff. It’s all going to be alright.

The first semester is rough on everybody, but don’t let what you see on social media derive you from being happy. Everything is going to work out. You’re surrounded by a world full of opportunities, and this is your chance to stand out. Take a leap of faith, or even take baby steps, it’s up to you. This is your life and no one can judge you for being who you want to be.

Lena is currently a senior at the University of Central Florida and very emotional about it. She serves as HCUCF's President and Campus Correspondent and is studying hospitality in hopes of making her childhood dreams of getting paid to travel the world come true. She is head over heels in love with all things aesthetically pleasing, so what could be better than working a job that will result in cute photos? While she's not in school or checking out the tacky tourist attractions around Orlando, you can find her spending more money than she has on concerts, clothes, and crappy coffee. She is a low-key movie addict and a high-key Instagram addict. If you want to see what she's up to when she's not hiding behind her laptop screen, you can follow her on Instagram @lena.daniels 
UCF Contributor