The Breakfast Dilemma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! It’s 6 a.m. and your alarm clock springs you from a deep sleep. You have a million things to do before your 7:30 class and eating breakfast just doesn’t seem like a priority at the moment. Sound familiar?

If you are like many collegiettes™, eating breakfast is just simply not a part of your daily morning routine. With classes, work schedules, getting to the gym, and extra curricular activities to worry about, it’s hard to set aside enough time in the morning to make an adequate breakfast. Little do many know, eating breakfast is essential to living a healthy lifestyle and having a productive day.

As we all know, breakfast is referred to as “the most important meal of the day.” And trust me, there is good reasoning behind that! Eating a balanced meal helps you keep weight off and keeps you more alert throughout the day.

Studies have shown that eating breakfast every day helps manage weight gain and promotes weight loss. When you are sleeping at night, your metabolism slows down. Eating breakfast shortly after you wake up jump-starts your metabolism, which in turn allows you to burn more calories throughout the day. Starting your day off with breakfast will also keep you more full throughout the day, making it less likely that you will reach for an unhealthy mid-day snack.

Eating breakfast will not only help keep the weight off, but it can also help you to have a more productive day. Having a balanced meal in the morning will help to keep you more alert throughout the day, thus enhancing productivity and allowing you to get more done. Have to spend the day studying for a big test? You have even more of a reason to eat breakfast! A study done by the University of Florida found that those who ate breakfast showed improved cognitive function over those who did not eat breakfast, aka more efficient studying.

So, what exactly does a busy, rushed collegiette™ eat in the morning? Here are some suggestions of healthy but time efficient breakfast ideas:

Greek yogurt – This is one of my personal favorites. It involves no preparation and it can easily be grabbed for on the go. Greek yogurt is filled with a ton of protein that can keep you fuller for longer in the morning.

Cereal and milk – Get your calcium and whole grains in this simple, traditional breakfast. Go for healthier cereal, such as Special K Fruit and Yogurt.

Fruit smoothies – Depending on what you add to them, these can be both yummy and nutritious. Blend together frozen fruit juice and yogurt, and start your day with an all-around balanced meal. I recommend using Diet V8 Splash. Each cup has a full serving of fruits and veggies and no added sugars.

English muffin or whole grain toast with peanut butter – The protein in the peanut butter will help keep you from feeling hungry in the middle of the day. Try making this at night and storing it in a plastic baggie in the fridge for an easy grab-and-go breakfast.

So, next time you start to rush out of the door without eating breakfast, think back on all the benefits breakfast brings and grab one of these healthy options!

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler