Amanda Trussell: The Woman Behind the Scenes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Let me introduce you to Amanda Trussell. At first glance, she may seem like another twenty four year old woman working her way up the hierarchical ladder of the political scene, but what some people may not know is that she is already half-way there. At only twenty four, Amanda is the Director of Scheduling for Governor Rick Scott of Florida. She is an extremely hard worker, an excellent planner and instigator and a people person. Amanda is intelligent, kind, successful and charismatic and these are the qualities that have helped her gain her position that she is in today. As modest as Amanda may be, she is the woman behind the scenes, making everything flow smoothly and with grace. She is the person that connects everyone together on Governor Scott’s team and makes sure that the dates, plans and times are manageable, that everyone is informed and that the governor himself is safe. I spoke with Amanda recently and conducted a short interview to find out just exactly what she does and the journey that she has taken to get to where she is. Let’s get to know Amanda!

How did your interest in politics come about?

We always watched the news at home with our parents so I think my interest developed at an earlier age and then just grew as I watched elections and everything that happened in the world. 

When did you know that the field of politics was the right fit for you?

I knew during my internship in the Florida Legislature that politics was the right fit for me. I actually wanted to come to work and didn’t mind if I had to stay late. I always wanted a career that I actually enjoyed. I loved all the excitement of following bills as they traveled through the different committees and watching the representatives and senators debate on the House and Senate floors. It was a great experience! 

How did you get the position that you are in today? 

Well it started out with my internship with a Florida State Representative from Miami. I interned with him for 2 years and made many great connections within the Florida political sphere. From there, one of my co-workers sent my resume to a few campaigns and I ended up working on the Governor’s campaign and ultimately ended up as his Director of Scheduling.  

What skills do you believe you have to have in order to succeed at your job/position?

In my position, you need time management skills. You can’t procrastinate at all because if you miss a deadline, you get some angry people. You also need to be very organized in order to keep track of everything and make sure that nothing is overlooked. 

What advice do you have for college students who are pursuing careers in political science?

Definitely try to get internships, they help you get your foot in the door and meet all the right people. Politics is all about connections and who you know. Once you meet the right people though, you have to show them that you’re willing to work hard. 

What do think you’ve gained from this experience? 

I have gained so much from this experience in politics and the Governor’s Office in particular. I have gained knowledge of how to work in a team setting, as well as working in a fast-paced, time-sensitive work environment. I have also met the most amazing people who will be great resources later on in my career path, as well as one of my future bridesmaids!

How has being a part of the political scene shaped your knowledge and view of things going on in the world around you?

It has immensely increased my knowledge of things going on in the world around me. I pay much more attention to everything on the news. My co-workers always know the latest news stories, as obscure as they may be, so I like to keep up on that so I’m not out of the loop on anything. 

What are your ultimate goals for the future? 

My goals for the future are to move more into the event planning side of things. We focus so much on the logistics of the events that the Governor is going to attend, so I think it would be fun to be on the other side actually planning and setting up events. 

What is your favorite thing to do when you’re not planning the governor’s schedule?

I enjoy working out, running especially, and watching TV (mostly Law and order: SVU).

Who is an inspiration of yours that has helped you get to where you are today?

I have many people that have inspired me and helped me get to where I am today, but I would have to say my parents. They both taught me never to give up on something that I wanted and to always work as hard as possible. They encouraged me to do better when they knew I could, but always praised me for my accomplishments. 

We wish Amanda luck in the future and that she would keep working hard to make it big!

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor