8 Things I Learned My First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ah, college. It’s a refreshing chance for everyone to start new, to really get a feel for the real world before diving right into it. As students being on our own for the first time, we’re going to learn many things during our 4 (and possibly more) years pursuing higher education. My first month has already offered me more than I thought it would…

The homesick feeling goes away faster than you think.

The moment your parents leave, there’s a little off feeling that you get deep down. However, it quickly fades as you jump right into your new life of college classes and just flat out living in a place where your parents aren’t. Between going out, keeping up with homework, and maybe even a possible job, you realize after a few days that you’re actually doing it – you’re surviving on your own! Then you have a little congratulatory moment and it’s back to college life.

Don’t be late to get your laundry. Ever.

You may just find it chilling out on the floor when you finally get back.

Independence is a good feeling, but it has its ups and downs.

Bear in mind that with freedom comes responsibility. Although it’s cool to be doing things on your own for the first time in your life without your parents breathing over your shoulder, the first day you have to actually go out and get something you need for yourself is going to suck. #AdultLifeDisadvantages

People aren’t any more mature now than they were before college.

There will be the occasional person who you will question how they ever even made it past Kindergarten with the manners they have. The summer between high school graduation and college unfortunately does not change all people…*cue tears.*

The Freshman 15? Real.

Whether you have a meal plan or not, eating out as well as eating whatever you want is going to become a way of life. Accept it now while it’s early, and start planning your weekly workout trips to the gym.

Don’t buy your textbooks from your school’s bookstore.

There are many different, beyond cheaper alternatives that you can turn to when it comes to buying your textbooks. Your bookstore will rip you off, so it’s better not to buy from there unless you really have to… There is a senior secretly laughing at a freshman somewhere at this very moment.

Time management is actually way more important now.

The course load in high school is nothing compared to college. You may only have 4 or 5 classes now, but the work is way more time consuming and involves a lot more studying and research. Make sure to balance your time in between all the new activities and organizations you plan to be involved with on campus and your classes, or else you’ll be extremely stressed.

It’s okay to do things on your own.

This is college. You need to find who YOU want to be, and there is so much that a school has to offer its students. If you have an interest in something, give it a shot. This isn’t like high school where you need someone to go to the bathroom with you – discover who you are by checking things out, even if it means going by yourself. You may just find some great new friends.

College is what you make it, and after just one month I already feel as if it’s going to pass by fast. Make sure to make the most of the experience without forgetting the real reason you’re here.

Photo credits:

http://www.memecenter.com/search/self%20five

http://www.danthatscool.com/?tag=toddlers-and-tiaras-blog#.Vf8lBflViko

http://www.gurl.com/2013/05/02/being-lazy-gifs/ (2)

http://media.collegeonline.org/cms/college-advice.jpg

Hailey is a junior here at the University of Central Florida, currently majoring in Human Communication and double minoring in Business and Leadership Studies. She is also a dedicated sister of Gamma Phi Beta. When she's not writing for Her Campus or her own personal blog, you can find her hanging out with other members of her sorority at philanthropy events and socials, singing her heart out at local concerts, or taking silly pictures with her best friends on rides at Disney World or Universal. Hailey enjoys ordering cookies and Chinese food at midnight, running in local 5K's, and cheering on her Knights at football games. Follow Hailey on Twitter and Instagram for updates on her articles and life!
Victoria is a senior studying Broadcast Journalism and minoring in Criminal Justice at UCF, and is also the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UCF. When Victoria is not attending classes, you can find her and her giant hair (it's full of secrets) in the Student Union pretending to study, but actually watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Her dreams include holding a puppy for three days straight, and marrying Jimmy Fallon on the stage of Saturday Night Live. If you see Victoria around campus and she hasn't quoted Beyonce three times, run because you have found an imposter! This lovely Italian lives for Beyonce quotes (ladies, tell 'em) and fashionable boots. If you like cheesy jokes, cute pics of animals dressed like humans, or embarrassing stories of her life, you should follow her on Twitter @imunprevictable, or her step-by-step blog on Tumblr on how to survive college! *Does Single Ladies dance out of room*