5 Ways to Wear Flannel This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

That’s right ladies its Flannel Season, a glorious time of year where you can wear a flannel shirt every day of the week without being a fashion outcast. This fall staple can be worn to make a little go a long way. The flannel shirt can be styled several different ways to help you go from classy lady, to punk kid, to farm girl, to rock chick, to you… in a flannel. Here a five different ways to rock a flannel this fall:

1. As An Afterthought

The easiest way to wear a flannel is to throw it on over an outfit. A flannel can be a key piece to take your outfit from try-hard, to “I woke up like this” effortless. You can wear a flannel over anything from a cute dress to a t-shirt and ripped jeans. Adding a flannel to complete an outfit is like adding a layer of cool to your look.

2. If Not Over, Try Under

Another great way to style a flannel shirt is to wear it under a sweater. Crew-neck sweaters work the best with this classy look; that way the collar of the flannel is popping out. If you want to edge it up a bit, you can rock a flannel under a graphic sweatshirt. Also adding statement necklaces to this combo really kicks up the neckline to make for an eye-catching look.

3. 90s Style

Want to channel your inner 90s girl? Wrap your flannel shirt around your waist. This is a great trick if you’re wearing that one pair of shorts that a just a little too short (admit it, we all own a pair) because the flannel covers you booty and any butt cheeks that may be peeking out. Plus, if you get cold, you have a jacket right there around your waist. It’s convenient and fashionable.  Just make sure to tie the flannel around your waist rather than lower down for a more flattering look.

4. Like a B.A.

Pairing this layering staple with a leather jacket is the perfect way to toughen up your look. Leather jackets can make anyone look like a bad a** (Example: Sandy from Grease) but wearing a flannel with it instantly makes it that much cooler. If your flannel shirt is long enough rolling the sleeves over the end of the jacket sleeves is a great way to show off your plaid pride. This also works great with jean jackets.

5. The Classic Way

Last but certainly not least, you can style your flannel shirt as the main focus of your outfit. Wearing just a flannel tucked into skinny jeans is a chic look for fall. Try adding heels and gold jewelry to dress it up. You could also pair your untucked, button-down flannel with boyfriend jeans and sneakers for a more relaxed feel. Rocking a flannel solo is a classic look anyone can make their own.

The best part of wearing flannel this fall is that your options are endless. So go try on your favorite flannel shirts with everything in your closet and see what you like best. Happy Flannel Season ladies!

Catherine is a senior at UCF majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. Catherine enjoys painting, singing along with the radio, and sipping on chai lattes. In her spare time you can find her doodling on her hands with Sharpies, and watching Quentin Tarantino films. She loves fashion, interior design, penquins, and over-the-knee socks. Follow her on Twitter- for random thoughts about Publix and life- and Instagram -for pictures of her roommate's cat and some great looking food: @catienicoled
UCF Contributor