5 Ways to Stay Healthy This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With fall comes scarves, pumpkin everything, and…the flu. The flu is upon us this year, and no collegiette has time to deal with sniffling and sneezing. Let’s face it – stuffing tissues in your pockets on your date is definitely a turn off. It’s important to stay healthy with the pressure of midterms and finals upon us, and staying healthy is definitely a struggle when you’re going to school. If you want to stay germ-free this autumn, take some of this advice.

1. Get a flu shot

Flu shots have become increasingly controversial in recent years, and some people would rather go without them. However, if you’re living on a campus with germs lurking from every corner, you might want to take some precaution and get a flu shot. If you’re scared of needles, some places even offer the nasal mist! UCF is lucky to have a clinic on campus that doles out free flu shots. If you’re looking to avoid unnecessary illness this season, check out their locations and head on over!

2. Wash your hands

Washing your hands to stay healthy is no new concept, but many seem to forget. Your hands will touch million of germs each day, so keep them clean! If you’re on the go, many stores sell cute little hand sanitizers that clip onto your bag. They even come in various scents – did someone say pumpkin spice hand sanitizer? 

3. Go to the gym

A fantastic (and slimming) way to keep your body moving this season is to invest time in the gym! Take your pick of cardio or yoga and get to work. Keeping your body strong is the key to keeping your immune system strong. Not to mention how cute you will look in that new sweater!

4. Get to bed early

Going to sleep early is a foreign concept to the average college student. With papers and parties galore, who has time to sleep? Unfortunately, the effects of losing sleep can be worse than just being tired. If you’re harboring a nasty cough or stuffy nose, it’s probably best to skip that party and go to bed. Don’t worry, there will be plenty more parties in your college career!

5. Eat healthy

Making healthy choices is very difficult in school. On campus, pizza is in abundance and carrot sticks are yet to be spotted. If you have a mini fridge or kitchen, stock up on some simple fruits and vegetables to snack on between classes. Invest in a water bottle, and keep yourself hydrated. Remember to keep your food simple and you’ll have a much easier time avoiding illness this season!

UCF Contributor