This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

While most of us feel the draw of Black Friday deals, we’re still put off by the thought of the crazy crowds and the ransacked stores. Thankfully, for those of us that prefer a much more relaxed Friday after Thanksgiving, the universe has brought us Cyber Monday. Here are five tips on how to handle the best online shopping day of the year.

1. Some Black Friday Deals Extend to Monday

While a lot of stores do something special for the Monday after Thanksgiving, others just keep the Black Friday fun going by extending their sales. Make sure to check for the end dates of the advertised sales.

2. Take Your Measurements and Check the Sizing Chart

If you’re buying clothes, take your measurements-or those of the recipient of your gift-before you go scouring the internet for anything. It would be horrible luck to buy something only for it not to fit once it arrived. Most shopping websites have the sizing charts available for customers to look at, so take advantage of that fact.

3. Check All Your Favorite Stores for Possible Deals

Some companies don’t advertise the deals they’re offering unless you’re already a part of the emailing list. So if there is a company you particularly love or have always wanted to shop at, go to their website and hope for the best. You might be surprised.

4. Compare Similar Items from Different Stores to Make Sure You’re Getting a Good Deal

If you see something you really want on one company’s website, it’s sometimes best to look for something similar on the website of a company of equal stature. That way you can see if another company offers a better deal. Not all black halter tops are made the same way, but if you can get it for a lesser price, it’s definitely worth it.

5. Think Before You Purchase

The most important tip is to make sure you know why you’re buying what you’re buying. Getting a cute top or a pair of jeans just because it’s on sale is never a good reason. You face the possibility of having buyer’s remorse and that it something no shopper wants to experience.

Be wise in your purchases, and have fun collegiettes!

Photo credit: 1, 2

Christian is a 2020 UCF graduate and Creative Writing and Legal Studies duel major and an aspiring novelist working on her debut novel. One look at her color-coded closet and it’s obvious why Confessions of a Shopaholic and The Devil Wears Prada are her favorite movies of all time. If she’s not spending all her money on clothes and high heels, she’s probably out buying more books to go on her already overstuffed bookshelf. The women she looks up to most are J.K. Rowling, the queen of all things literary, and Anna Wintour, the queen of all of thing fashion. If she could be a combination of them by the time she’s thirty, she will have proudly hit her peak.
UCF Contributor