yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

5 Stages of Realizing That It’s Getting Cold Outside: Florida Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Every Floridian knows that there’s only three true types of weather in the sunshine state: broiling humid that gets you sweating the second you step out from your air-conditioned car, dark and stormy like the iconic library scene from The Day After Tomorrow, or both at the same time. But every now and then during what’s supposed to be the fall and winter seasons, the temperature starts to go below 70 degrees. When that happens, most everyone’s reactions occur neatly in order like dominos:

1) Confused due to the initial shock

What do you mean, it’s 67 outside? It was a beautiful 85 yesterday, we spent the whole day at the beach! Wait – are my car windows fogged up?!

2) Denial to the max

Oh, it’s that time of the year again? No worries, only those states up north get the worst of the cold. Also, it usually warms up by lunch time. No need to bring out the jackets or – God forbid – those awful thermal coats we had to buy when the temperature actually hit 45 that one time…but that was only one occasion! We’re fine!

3) Rising internal panic and crisis over getting the winter clothes out

OK, everyone’s wearing long sleeves and that girl over there is wearing boots, and I can admit it’s kinda chilly at the moment. Should I get the jackets or wait it out? Would they even still fit me? I haven’t worn a real jacket since last year!

4) Summoning all the courage to dive into the storage or that one closet where you last saw your winter clothes

You have to recruit three of your best friends to keep you from being swallowed up in the great unknown you haven’t touched since December or January. You find things that really should never see the light of day again.

5) Finally accepting that winter is coming

You’ve got your thermal coats, long sleeves, mittens, gloves, cute boots, scarves, hot chocolate… you’re ready for whatever this these next two months may bring

Photo credit: 1/2/3/4/5/6

Dianne Mercado is a freshman majoring in biotechnology at the University of Central Florida. She plans to have a career in sustainable energy and environmental conservation while traveling the world and writing. She is currently working on launching her own blog, keeping her grades up, and juggling a dozen other hobbies.
UCF Contributor