5 Helpful Tips to Follow This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Now that’s summer’s over; you’re either extremely bummed because now you actually have to participate in life, or you’re really eager to be back and out of your not-so-glamorous summer job. Either way, we are all starting off fresh this fall semester so why not make it a great one? First year, or last year student, here are some tips to be a better you this school year.

Ditch the negativity- As easy at this sounds, it’s actually a pretty big challenge. It’s hard to burn bridges that you may need to cross someday, but cutting people out is sometimes necessary and can bring you much needed happiness. Get rid of those so-called “friends” who constantly bring you down- birds of a feather flock together- their misery wears off on you, so try to make new friends this year. Your go-to party buddy from freshman year may not be the best choice to sit next to in class, especially if they’re still drunk in their 8 A.M. Joining clubs or sports teams and finding students with similar interests and goals as you will be a positive experience. Stay optimistic with yourself as well this year! Although it feels like finals and homework consume you and it’s the end of the world-it’s not. Ditch the negative mindset and surround yourself with good company, don’t let anyone bring ya’ down!

Make time for yourself- When you go to college, it’s sometimes difficult to stay true to who you really are. Make time for yourself this year. Stop trying so hard to please everyone and take an hour or so out of your day to do something you genuinely enjoy! Be the dorky kid you grew up as, because no matter how hard you try to be someone else, you never really will be. Do some retail therapy, binge watch Gilmore Girls, paint your nails, read a book, draw, just do what makes you feel comfortable. Always remember to never lose sight of those little things that make you happy.

Get organized- To some, this is a nightmare. To people like me (who are basically Monica from Friends), this is awesome! A clean and organized work space and home is always more refreshing. Personally, I can’t start homework if my room is a mess (ok, or if something is just out of place), but cleaning is always a good thing- plus at least it’s a productive way to procrastinate. Start the year off with getting organized and *try* to maintain that organization throughout this year. Step one: Get a planner. I’m not even really sure how students survive without one?! Keeping everything in place and staying on top of all your school work will show superior results in and out of the classroom.

Pay it forward- Making someone’s day can go a really long way, and it makes you feel good about yourself too. Especially in college where so many students undergo depression, anxiety, and heavy lifestyle changes, it wouldn’t hurt this year to occasionally go out of your way and perform a nice gesture for somebody. I’ve never experienced a situation where someone pays for my meal in a drive through and the chain gets passed on, but instances like that should happen more often! Big or small, be that person who starts the chain and the person people tweet about for making their day. The feeling of bringing pure happiness to others is unexplainable. Even just a sincere smile could make a difference, try to be a better person this school year. 

Take in every moment- Just think, this is your last freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year: ever. If that doesn’t freak you out, make you want to cry and ridiculously happy all at the same time, then I don’t know what will! Embrace every single moment this school year because you’re currently living the best four years of your life. Attend sporting events you’ve never gone to before, have school spirit, party, set a record for your highest grades, and just live it up.

Take lots of pictures this year, they’re the best kind of memories.

Make new friends, they’ll probably be your bridesmaids.

Be yourself, you’ll never be around as many accepting people in your life.

And don’t forget to have fun, enjoy the ride along your journey.

Gabby is a senior advertising and public relations major who loves Taylor Swift, iced coffee, anything that sparkles, and writing. Her favorite fictional character is Jenna Rink from 13 Going on 30, because she plans to be a "big time magazine editor" one day. Gabby is the the president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at UCF and a contributing blogger for the Huffington Post. When she isn't writing (which isn't very often), you'll always find Gabby sitting front row of every UCF football game, at Starbucks, or watching re-runs of "Friends." She's got a fascination with New York City, and aspires to work in digital journalism. Follow Gabby on social media if you're interested in the commentary of an average 20-something, food, and the more-than-occassional selfie. Twitter / Instagram / Pinterest
UCF Contributor