5 Funny Halloween Costumes That Actually Won’t Offend Anyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Halloween is all about expressing yourself, but these days, it can sometimes be difficult to do so in a tasteful way that won’t offend anyone. In fact, I thought my first costume idea for this year wouldn’t be a problem, until I Googled it and discovered an article declaring such a costume a “girl-on-girl hate crime.” I was planning on painting the Snapchat dog filter on my face, buying a pumpkin-spice latte and dressing in leggings and maybe a top from PINK, so that I could go as a literal “basic (female dog).” I have since changed my costume idea, but honestly, I still see nothing wrong with my original idea.

If you want to dress for laughs this year, it is still very possible to do so in a way that won’t hurt anyone’s feelings. And if it does, you didn’t get these ideas from me.

Here are five relevant, funny, and simple costumes that are cheap to put together and allow you to show off your sense of humor:

For the Meme Queen

Arthur

Chances are you might even have one or two of these pieces in your closet already! Simply layer a yellow sweater over a collared white shirt, pull on your favorite blue jeans, lace up your red Converse (or Vans if you have them), and top off the look with glasses and some ears. Oh, and don’t forget the signature fist clench.

Ken Bone

A “Sexy Ken Bone” costume does actually exist, but why bother when you could be the illustrious debate star for a lot less? Make it cute by using a khaki skirt rather than pants, and, much like the Arthur costume, layer a white collared shirt under a cozy red sweater. Complete your transformation into the charming man who stole the show at the debate by adding glasses, a stick-on mustache, and a microphone as a prop.

For the Disney Fan

Gerald

The movie is titled Finding Dory, but the real scene-stealer was the lovable, bucket-toting seal named Gerald. A brown dress, green pail, and a drawn-on, over-the-top unibrow is all you need to complete this look.

For the Selfie Queen

Snapchat Filter

Photo courtesy of youtube.com

If you’re good with makeup, this will be a fun and easy costume. Check out these 7 tutorials here.

For the Silly Girl with a Sweet Tooth

Milkshake

Photo courtesy of studiodiy.com

Go solo or get your girl gang together for a group costume that will bring all of the boys to the yard. Check out the simple how-to guide here.

Cover photo courtesy of youtube.com