The 10 Best Things about Going Home for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Though going home for the summer may seem sad since you’ll be away from UCF for three months, there are actually many great things about going back home.

1. Spending time with family

Of course I love being independent and having some space from my slightly overbearing family, but I miss them a lot during the school year. Going home for the summer allows me to catch up and spend quality time with them.

2. Laundry is a breeze

You don’t have to lug your laundry to the community laundry room or pay for it. I despise doing my laundry because walking back and forth from the laundry room is a lot of effort. Plus, paying $1.00 per load is ridiculous. When you’re at home, the laundry room is most likely right in your house and it’s free! Plus your mom might even do your laundry for you if you’re lucky.

3. Eating actual food

You don’t have to live off of Ramen noodles and Chipotle anymore. You can enjoy actual, home-cooked food. I personally live for my mom’s Sunday dinners, and can’t wait to enjoy them every week during the summer.

4. No more stress

Say goodbye to the stress of college life! No more professors, club meetings or assignments. You might take an online class or two, but that’s easy compared to a full load of four or more classes, work and extracurricular activities. Relaxing by the pool here I come!

5. Spending time with old friends

You get to hang out with your hometown friends. It’s always good to catch up with your old friends (and gossip about people you went to high school with).

6. Saving money

It’s so much cheaper to be at home. You no longer have to pay for groceries, late night Taco Bell runs with your friends, or covers at Library. Summer is a great time to save up your money for the school year.

7. Seeing your pets

You get to see your pets. Being at school without your beloved pets can be extremely hard. Sometimes I miss my pets more than I miss my family! Going home for the summer allows you to spend over three months of quality cuddle time with your animals.

8. No more roommates

Your family don’t really count as roommates (even though your younger sister may be as annoying as one.) You don’t have to deal with dirty roommates who have never heard of a dishwasher or passive aggressive Post-it notes on the thermostat.

9. More privacy

You’re not constantly surrounded by classmates, roommates or guys trying to hit on you at Pub. You can close your door in your own room and just have time for yourself.

10. Home is where the heart is (cheesy, but true)

Lastly, there’s simply nothing better than being home. Your apartment or dorm just isn’t home to you like your family’s house. The feeling of being home after a crazy semester is so comforting. Just sitting on the couch you’ve always sat on, watching TV with your family is one of the best feelings in the world. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Isabelle is a journalism major and Delta Zeta sister at UCF. She loves Starbucks, taking naps, cats, and all things Taylor Swift. 
UCF Contributor