Why Knitting Is the Ultimate Hobby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Honestly, knitting is awesome. You can make scarves, hats, mittens, and virtually anything else. It’s common perception that knitting is an old woman’s hobby, but it’s actually fun for all. Not to mention how satisfying it is to slip those needles through the loops and watch you finished project come to life. 

Image source: Pixaby

Knitting can be a great stress reliever and it’s not something you have to give your full attention to. Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to knit while watching TV or listening to music. I’ve even heard of students bringing their knitting materials to lectures!

While your hands are busy going through the steps your brain has memorized, you start to focus on other things. Knitting therapy is real, and it’s important because not only can knitting make you feel productive or purposeful, but it will give you something you can use and keep. Memory loss can be helped by knitting as well, which may be why knitting can be helpful in lectures.

Imagine sitting out in the warm weather, knitting needles and yarn in hand, with a tall glass of something cold and the determination to create a beautiful scarf for that special someone. That image couldn’t be more perfect.

Knitting isn’t the only craft within the yarn crafting world. There is also crocheting, sewing, and finger knitting. All of these are great ways to destress and find that creative part of yourself.

Image source: Pexels

I first started to knit because of my sister. All of her knitted gifts were garments she had made and were pretty awesome. Not only did they look nice, but the gift also felt like it came straight from her heart. To think that she sat down and made that scarf or that hat in her own spare time for me was heart-warming.

While my sister is passionate about knitting, I am not. Although, I learned that you don’t have to be passionate about it to take advantage of what it has to offer. You don’t even have to be good at it. Once you get past the learning stages, you’ll start to feel the calm that comes with each new loop of yarn. Even if you’ve never had a second thought about knitting, giving it a shot wouldn’t hurt a fly. I believe knitting is a great way to get back into a positive mentality and to reflect on your life as you create something new.

Drew Watson studies English at UC Davis. She enjoys reading young adult fantasy, listening to old school R&B, and watching cartoons! Drew is interested in a career in education, or editing/publishing after college, and is hoping to explore all of her options while at Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!