Style

Why It’s Okay to Wear Birkenstocks Year-Round

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With our unpredictable and early spring weather, it has been a struggle planning outfits the night before. As a busy college student, I’m usually out and about from morning until dark, so I have to account for all of the possible weather changes throughout the day. That means layering tank tops for when it’s sunny with a ski jacket for when it’s below freezing at night and eventually regretting my clothing decisions throughout the day.

But when it comes to the decision of which shoes to wear, there isn’t even a question. My answer for 365 days of the year is Birkenstocks!

I’m completely serious! Just ask my roommate. Smack dab in the middle of January, I pull out my Birkenstocks from my shoe bin, slip on a pair of the fuzziest socks I own and head out to the farmers market downtown. Birkenstocks just may be the most versatile shoe that ever existed.

They have the comfort of a closed-toe sneaker, with the easy slip-on process of a flip-flop. Birkenstocks come in all sorts of different designs, sizes, and patterns that you can choose to best fit your style. Once you break in a pair of Birkenstocks, the insanely cushiony footbed molds to the shape of your foot. It’s literally a shoe that is custom-made for you!

Plus, you can show off all your cool socks. Ever since I got a pair of Birkenstocks last year, I have cultivated a pretty rad collection of socks that speak to my personality. I think you can tell a lot about a person by the socks they wear. At least for me, when I wear my socks that are designed like library cards, you can safely assume that I like to read.

They work well on all terrains (minus snow, but I have yet to try waterproof socks and Birks). Birkenstocks are the perfect shoe to slip off if it’s a warm day and you want to feel the grass in between your toes on the quad. Plus, they look cute with every outfit… EVER. I’ve worn my Birkenstocks with skinny jeans, dresses, leggings, jogger-sweats, running shorts, you name it.

Birkenstocks are on the pricier side, but it is well worth it if it’s going to be a shoe that you wear year-round. Besides a mattress topper for your dorm, I personally think that it’s the second-best investment for your daily college life!

Cover image source: Pexels           

Caitlyn is a third-year student at UC Davis. She is studying Information & Communication Technology and English, with a minor in Computer Science. You can find her conducting Picnic Day board meetings as Vice Chair, working on code for research projects, downing an iced black tea and enjoying a good book.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!