Why I Love the Quarter System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I know what you must be thinking. “So she actually enjoys having midterms and papers after barely getting into the course material?” “She likes feeling as if there are just not enough hours in the day and then spiraling into feelings of self-doubt and agony 24/7?”

The answer to those questions is a massive NO; however, the things I love about the quarter system often outweigh everything that could possibly test my nerves.  

1. You have the chance to take more classes.  

This doesn’t always sound appealing especially since we’ve already got enough stuff in our heads without school, but hear me out.

As an English major, I take classes in subjects that I want to learn more about, and then I use my spare time to do some extra reading in the same subject matter. What matters is that I am being exposed to so many different genres and themes in literature, so I can figure out what else I would like to know more about.

Although you will often hear professors across all disciplines say something along the lines of “if we had more time, I would go more in depth with this concept”, that doesn’t necessarily mean you are missing out on anything. In fact, the course has given you all of the tools necessary to do your own research and actually understand what you are learning.

2. You have the opportunity to meet way more people and professors.

This sounds obvious to most of you, but maybe the idea of simply meeting people without connecting on a deeper level does not interest you. That’s fair. Maybe you don’t think that being in a classroom with someone for 10 weeks is enough.

What’s important here is that you have the chance to meet more types of people every year because you change your schedule so often. You never know who you will spark your interest, inspire you to think in new ways, or completely turn your world upside down. Have study sessions, stay in touch after the class is over, and really try to make connections if that’s what you want to do.

While your peers are important connections, the ones you can build with faculty might be just what you needed to define your future career. It’s so important to connect with as many professors as possible to get new perspectives on your future goals as well as making sure you are on track in your classes. In short, the more people you meet, the more you learn.

3. If you don’t like a class, it will end before you know it.

I really detest having to say this, but sometimes a class is so completely unbearable that all you can do is ride it out. Be thankful that each quarter is only 10 weeks and not 15.

4. You don’t have to study for a class over a long break.

Yeah that’s right; I’m looking at you, Spring Break. Think about all the students who use that week of freedom to study not because they want to but because they feel like they have to.

At least when quarter system kiddos are done with a quarter, we are done. We can empty our minds of all the information we crammed into our brains. Besides the stress that comes from checking to see if your final grades have been uploaded, you can actually chill out for once.

Maybe you don’t have to love the quarter system like I do, but you can get through it by balancing hard-work with as much self-care as you can devote to yourself. Even though we get those long, school-free breaks, we should still be taking breaks for ourselves during the school year.

Wishing you much success and happiness this quarter, dearest Aggies! You can do this.

*Images used do not belong to Her Campus or the author

Sonya Vyas is currently a fourth year student at UC Davis. She is a Pharmaceutical Chemistry and English double major. She enjoys listening to obscure music, reading constantly, making connections, and caring about everything.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!