This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Want to add some spring style to your wardrobe but find you’re low on cash after break? The solution is simpler than you might think — creating a fair-weather capsule wardrobe by simply limiting yourself to a few fabulous staple pieces is not only economical, but eco-friendly and as refreshing as spring itself. I’ll share my new capsule wardrobe with you to inspire you and to give you ideas of things you might want yourself!

Coated Denim Pencil Skirt

One spring goal of mine was to find a couple of sophisticated, versatile pieces that could easily go from class to a night out with friends. This pencil skirt hit the mark: not only is the style flattering for many body types, the leather-look of the coated denim is sexy paired with a simple tee during the day, or with heels and lipstick at night. I found a great one by Rachel Roy, on sale for a mere $16 on the clearance rack at Macy’s.

Soft, Slightly Cropped Tee

This cropped tee by Madewell is honestly one of the best t-shirts I’ve ever had; it’s soft, made with quality fabric, and its length is both fun and flexible. The tee is only cropped a little, so you can be on trend and also manage to wear it with both high-waist or low-rise bottoms without thinking too hard or being forced to plan your outfits out the night before. I love to wear mine with my coated denim pencil skirt during the day.

One Dress-Up Top

It’s spring quarter, and you know what that means? Internships and job interviews are likely going to be popping up soon in your near future! Be prepared by keeping a dressy top or two in your closet that can easily be paired with dress pants and a cardigan for an instant interview outfit. This darling top from Express is both sweet and perfect for a day at the office. I love to wear mine with jeans for an everyday look too!

High-Rise Shorts

Okay, let’s forget grown-up wardrobe staple pieces and focus on shorts now, because we all know that the weather is supposed to be getting warmer out there. I’ve been checking my weather updates every day to see if it’s warm enough yet to bring out this purple pair by Fire. Change things up with a new color and a high-rise shorts are fairly inexpensive and are a great way to experiment with fun patterns and new styles.

The Perfect Swimsuit

If you haven’t already found a cute swimsuit over spring break, you’ll want to find one soon for warmer weather fun, like hanging out with friends in hot tubs. One-pieces like this cute Modcloth number are always classy and flattering, or, if you’re on a tight budget, it’s fairly easy to find reasonable prices on bikinis.

A Spring Lip Stain

While a lipstain is not technically a piece of clothing, using one can be a fresh and frugal way to add a cheerful everyday color to your complexion and spring look. My favorite lip stain of late is M.A.C.’s pro-longwear in Peach Cling — the color is all about spring and it stays on my lips forever!

A Light Jacket

Even though the winter cold is fading away, it can’t be denied that spring is often accompanied by a chill breeze. Find a light, versatile jacket with some style (like this classy J. Crew downtown field jacket) to throw over your dresses, skirts, and shorts to keep you both sane and stylish until temperatures rise!

Rachel is majoring in English at UC Davis and has a passion for sharing tips on living happily and stylishly on a budget, among other exciting hobbies. She loves cats, Pomeranians, anything covered in chocolate, earl grey tea, and her husband, a handsome UC Davis graduate. You'll find her lost somewhere in the halls of Voorhies, or in the frozen aisle of Trader Joe's stocking up on delectable turkey meatballs. She loves to write and hopes her articles add a little extra joy to your busy life!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!