This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ve always had anxiety, I just didn’t know it until a few years ago. Growing up, my mannerisms and actions were labeled as shyness – extreme shyness, definitely – but shyness nonetheless.

I remember, in second grade, my mom came home from a parent-teacher conference. She said that my teacher had nothing but positive things to say, except for one observation that I had “a tendency to fidget.” Being seven years old, I had no idea what this meant. I asked my mom, who simply said that it meant I had a hard time sitting still. I took out my dictionary (remember using physical dictionaries??) and fixated over “fidget,” focusing on every word in the definition. I never fully understood it; I thought there was something wrong with me. All I remember is that, since then, I have always been über conscious of how I portray myself to others.

I still live with anxiety today, and I’ve come to terms with it. Over the years, my anxiety hasn’t improved, but the way in which I have dealt with it has. By no means are these catch-all fixes, but they’ve helped me, so I hope they’ll inspire you to find your own coping mechanisms.  

1.  Bubble Wrap

This is still relatively new to me, but I’ve found that keeping a small sheet of bubble wrap with me has alleviated my anxiety considerably – short-term, of course. It gives me something to do with my hands other than picking at them or touching my hair. It’s pretty simple, too. All you need to do is buy a roll of bubble wrap, cut it in a square of your desired size, and voila! Portable relief. Get rid of your anxiety with a pop ;)

2. Calming Scents

Ever since I started college, I’ve had a substantial amount of homesickness and separation anxiety (still going strong three years later, too). When I left for school, I took a tiny, sample-sized bottle of my mom’s perfume. I like to carry it around with me and, every so often, sniff it when I’m feeling overwhelmed and need my mom with me (I love you mom!). Being reminded of family can help ground me in a stressful siutation.

3. Ready-Made Playlists

It’s always a good idea to have some playlists prepared for each of your moods. I’ve found that creating a playlist with a bunch of songs that make me happy – and are NOT just pump-up songs – has worked the best for me. When I’m overly anxious, pump-up and fast, upbeat songs only heighten my anxiety. I like to include calming songs or songs with good memories associated with them.

4. Note Pads Save Lives

Sometimes I find myself so overwhelmed that I need to transfer some of my panic and restlessness somewhere else – out and away from my body. Throughout the day, whether in class or just out and about, I’ll have moments when I’ll either take out my planner, notebook, or find a random scrap of paper and just verbally vomit everything that is flailing around in my mind. It literally feels like a weight has been taken off of me, even if it’s just for the moment.

Remember: there’s nothing wrong with admitting you need a moment to collect yourself or that you need to remove yourself from a particular situation. Worry about YOU, not what others may think of you. You always come first.

Images do not belong to the author or Her Campus.

Nikki is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in English and Communication, and minoring in Professional Writing. Her passions include: puppies, Harry Styles, and Coke ICEEs. She thoroughly enjoys proofreading and hopes to somehow make a career out of it.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!