Realizing You’re Getting Older

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I was talking to my mom over spring break, she reminded me to finish a task I had forgotten to complete. Since I “was an adult now” I should’ve remembered to accomplish said task earlier. It was then that I realized that it’s true— I’m legally an adult.

I started thinking about the fact that adulthood crept up on me without me noticing…and it’s frightening. In the blink of an eye, I’m approaching my senior year of college. Real life is coming faster than I thought it would and I’ll be honest: I’m really scared about what’s coming next.

I’ve always been a planner. I like knowing what’s happening weeks, months, even years ahead. I’ve always had a plan, always thought about my future. But now, with my remaining time at UCD becoming shorter and shorter, I find myself in a state of constant panic. I have so many questions: What industry will I work in? Where will I live? Will I get a job right after graduation? Do I want to pursue graduate studies?

Here’s the thing: I don’t know the answer to any of these questions, and that’s okay. What I can tell you is this: you’re not alone. A truck load of responsibilities comes with adulthood. Life after graduation is nerve-wracking to think about, but if you think you’re the only one freaked out by the thought of your next step, trust me, you’re not.

Growing up is scary. The thought of being on your own? Also scary. But it’s all a part of the adventure. Your childhood might’ve been great, your teen years, also great. But who’s to say that your adult years don’t have the potential to be great as well?

Society has conditioned us to believe that there’s a big scary world out there that we aren’t prepared for, and maybe we aren’t—but the uncertainty doesn’t have to be something negative. It can be exciting, and if you take it day by day, one step at a time, the future and your adult years could be something great.

I’ve realized that I’m getting older. But I’ve also realized that getting older doesn’t have to be a tragic end to all of your seemingly better, care-free years, but instead, a new chapter worth experiencing. 

Alida Araica attended UC Davis and graduated with a BA in English and minors in communication and technology management. Alida is passionate about 90's rom-coms, skin-care, iced coffee and running.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!