Op-Ed: There’s Nothing Wrong with Wanting to Make a Lot of Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Recently, I was having a conversation with a friend about the future. I told my friend that I hoped to earn a lot of money from a job I love. My friend reacted in a way that I never expected, almost like I had said something taboo.

I eventually want to travel the world. I want to own a house near my parents so they can watch their grandchildren grow up. If my kid wants to play soccer, learn how to play the drums, and be in Boy Scouts, I want him to be able to try it all. I’m extremely passionate about the high costs of cancer treatments, so I want to be in the position to pay for someone’s chemotherapy. I don’t want to stay up at night, unable to sleep, because I don’t know how I’m going to pay the electricity bill for my house. I want to go to the grocery store, and spontaneously pay for the person behind me.

Money would make all of this easier. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have never and will never believe that money creates happiness. I’m not interested in working a job I hate just because of the salary. With that being said, I want to enjoy what I’m doing and also be financially secure.

Everyone has different dreams and visions for their future. I don’t want to just sit on top of a pile of money, like a squirrel collecting nuts for winter. I actually want to do great things with it. These things will benefit me of course, but they’ll also benefit others. So, take a step back before you’re quick to label someone ‘greedy’ or ‘materialistic’ because they want money. It’s unfair to attach shame to it, because to me, there really is nothing wrong with wanting to make a lot of money. 

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!