Op-Ed: There Is Nothing Wrong with the Word ‘Feminism’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author.

In its annual poll, Time magazine added feminist/feminism to a list of words that should be banned in 2015. The poll included this brief explanation:

“You have nothing against feminism itself, but when did it become a thing that every celebrity had to state their position on whether this word applies to them, like some politician declaring a party? Let’s stick to the issues and quit throwing this label around like ticker tape at a Susan B. Anthony parade.”

I think that Time brings up a very interesting point. Reluctance to support feminism may have nothing to do with feminist principles. Some people are deeply concerned with the implications of the word itself. However, I think if we analyze these implications a little more closely, we’ll be grateful that the word ‘”feminism” is still in our vocabulary.

Implication 1: The word feminism doesn’t accurately depict the movement’s modern goals.

I agree that the root word, fem, is off-putting since it suggests that the movement is strictly for women. I also give credit to the argument that  “humanism” is a better name for the movement. It’s broadness would definitely help men and genderqueer people feel included. While it is imperative to know that  modern feminism strives to end oppression against people of all genders, I think replacing the word “feminism” would erase a crucial portion of our history. We need to keep in mind that feminism began as a struggle for women’s rights, including the right to vote, own property, divorce, receive higher education, and earn wages. Without these initial goals, we wouldn’t have the power  to carry out new ones.

Implication 2: Feminism suggests gender inequality is prevalent when it was actually abolished a long time ago.

If that’s true, why are female physicians only making 75% of male physicians’ annual income? Why do we shame women for having multiple sexual partners, but not men? Why are car insurance rates higher for teenage boys than for teenage girls? Why do so many parents hesitate to hire a male babysitter? Written laws may allow gender equality to exist, but that does not mean equality has been realized.

Implication 3: Feminism alludes to women as victims and men as abusers.

The word ‘feminism’ demands  us to contemplate how women are oppressed by patriarchy. That doesn’t even closely resemble the false idea that all women are victimized by all men. First of all, women’s oppression is much more complicated than domestic violence and sexual exploitation. It also refers to women’s lower wages and stigmatization in leadership positions. Second of all, patriarchy is not synonymous with men. Patriarchy is a social system in which men predominate in spiritual, political, economic, and social roles. Men are individuals who may or may not choose to accept their privileges. It is quite possible for men to be victims of patriarchy since it requires them to conform to specific rules, including suppressing their emotions. If anything is trying put men and women in prescribed boxes like “victim” and “abuser,” it is patriarchy. Feminism on the other hand helps us realize that we can step outside of these boxes.  

Implication 4: Feminism makes it seem like everyone against gender inequality is united when in reality they can’t agree on anything.

Because we are individuals with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, it is very difficult to formulate a universal understanding of feminism. I think disagreement has expanded feminist goals. By hearing different perspectives, we’ve learned how to make feminism accommodate people of different races, nationalities,  social classes, and sexualities. In spite of any differences however, there is at least one thing feminists can agree on. Feminists simply want to make the world a better place for men, women, and genderqueer people. Instead of being critical of a specific word some people embrace, let’s appreciate and take part in the important and necessary changes feminists are bringing to our society.

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.