New Year’s Resolution Hacks: 5 Easy Steps Toward a Healthier Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s a new year, and for those of you looking for ways to help shed a little bit of that holiday weight or to just start eating a bit healthier this year, look no further. Here are a few steps to take that can help you feel better and energized for 2017!

1. Substitute any packaged snacks with fruit or fresh vegetables.

Instead of reaching for a bag of potato chips or a cookie, try opting for your favorite piece of fruit or veggies. Fruits like apples, pears, and bananas and veggies like baby carrots and chopped celery are easy to carry and snack on throughout the day.

2. Replace whole milk with low fat milk or soy/almond milk.

Making the switch from whole milk to low fat milk is simple. Soymilk and almond milk are also good alternatives. Try adding soymilk or almond milk to your cup of morning coffee instead of regular milk for a different taste—you may like it more than you expect!

3. Ditch those sugary espresso drinks; instead, try tea or black coffee.

Cutting out espresso drinks (caramel macchiatos, vanilla lattes, mochas, etc.) and opting for tea or just black coffee is not only good for reducing bloat, but it also helps keep your skin clear since excess sugar can cause breakouts. Plus, there are a variety of teas and coffee blends, so you’ll never get bored!

4. Make the switch from white rice to brown rice.

If rice is part of your normal diet, I suggest switching to brown rice—all the satisfaction of white rice, but with all the nutrients white rice lacks!

5. Add some color to your meals—add veggies or fruit!

Even if you aren’t eating the healthiest meal, adding fruits or veggies to it whenever you can is a good way to make sure you’re maintaining a balanced diet. Add avocado to your toast, add a banana or some berries to your oatmeal, add a side of your favorite vegetable to your entrée—you’ll find that there are so many colorful options to add some variety to your diet.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

Amanda is a fourth year UCD student majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior with a minor in Psychology. She is an undergraduate research assistant at an affective neuroscience lab on campus. When she isn't studying or working, Amanda enjoys binge-watching shows on Netflix, doodling, napping, and hanging out with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!