This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As womxn, sometimes our emotions are deemed as invalid. However, it’s important to not let anyone tell you how you should feel. You are entitled to your feelings, and you can act on them in whatever way you see fit. Don’t try to fit into a certain stereotype or act a certain way just because society tells you you should.

I’m not “over-reacting”

Different people handle situations differently. Some people may be more hurt by something, while others may not be bothered by it at all. Telling a person that they are “over-reacting” is wrong, and it certainly cannot be blamed on gender. People will act according to their feelings, and if it doesn’t fit certain “standards” that others are accustomed to, it may come off a little strange. However, this doesn’t mean that our emotions are wrong.

I’m not “PMSing”

Blaming someone’s behavior on “their period” is not a valid explanation. In my experience, some boys will say this if they think you are acting excessively emotional or “crazy.” However, just because a womxn is showing a different side of their personality, or is upset, does not mean they are PMSing. Although some womxn do become more sensitive when it is that time of month, this should not be the conclusion one jumps to when trying to figure out why a womxn is acting the way she is.

I’m not weak because I cry

There is a certain stigma about crying that suggests those who cry are weak. However, I think those who cry and let out their emotions, instead of letting it all build up, are actually a little more emotionally healthy and more in touch with their feelings. Obviously people deal with situations differently, and not everyone will find crying cathartic, but if you are one of the people who do, don’t be ashamed of it. Crying does not make you weak, it makes you human. Everyone goes through ups and downs regardless of gender identity. Tearing up is not something to be ashamed of. So cry when you need to, and cry with confidence.

My name is Rojan Zarei and I am a second year Managerial Economics major at UC Davis. I've found a passion in getting to know who I am, learning about life, and sharing that with others! What better way to do that than write about what I've learned so others can hopefully benefit from it as well!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!