Menstrual Sustainability Panel by PERIOD at UC Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Want to learn more about sustainable menstrual products? The new organization PERIOD at UC Davis is hosting a Sustainability Workshop on Thursday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. in Wellman 26. The workshop will specifically look at alternatives such as reusable underwear (like THINX) and various menstrual cups (like DivaCup and Lunette).

There will be speakers available for a question-and-answer panel, so come prepared to ask whatever you’ve been wondering about sustainable menstrual products! Nicole Garcia, the programs director for PERIOD at UC Davis and president of Davis Women in Business, will speak about reusable underwear. The current Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UCD, Mariana Huben, will speak about her experiences with menstrual cups.

The panel also will likely include Melissa Oh, a UCD student, as well as a representative named Michelle from My Sister’s House, a safe haven for Asian and Pacific Islander womxn in Sacramento. My Sister’s House offers support groups, an anti-trafficking shelter and transitional house, community outreach for education on domestic abuse, a 24-hour multilingual crisis hotline, and sexual assault intervention services.

The workshop has three main goals:

1. Exploring the impact of the most commonly used disposable menstrual pads and tampon and their ingredients.

2. Focusing on the environment and ethical consequences of synthetic materials, non-organic and organic cotton, bleaching chemicals, and more.

3. Introducing more sustainable, effective, cost-saving, and convenient alternatives!

Interested in attending? Be sure to head out to the workshop on Thursday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. in Wellman 26 to hear more and get your questions answered!

Cover image source: Pixabay, Patricia Moraleda

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis! 
Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.