Meghan and Harry: What to Expect from the Royal Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As someone that has drooled over Prince Harry since before the leaked Vegas pictures, this month is an exciting one. Although I’m sure that we’re all a little heartbroken that Harry has found someone to marry (other than ourselves), May 19 will truly be an exciting day. Prince Harry will marry Rachel Meghan Markle in an private ceremony, rather than a state occasion (think Will and Kate).

Markle has gracefully entered the spotlight (although she’s used to some degree of fame — catch her on Suits). Honestly, I have such a girl crush on her. She has avidly voiced her opinion on gender equality and sex slavery, and has worked with both One Young World and United Nations. Markle has even used her platform to address the realities of being a WOC.

A self-proclaimed California girl with excellent taste in both food and design, Markle is truly killing the game. Although the wedding will be taking place this weekend, the couple has done a superb job at keeping details secret. Here’s what we know:

1. The wedding will be held at St. George’s Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle, west of Central London.

The chapel is estimated to be able to hold roughly 800 guests. The vows are expected to take place at noon and the ceremony is estimated to be roughly an hour.

2.  It’s not an entirely private ceremony.

Roughly 1,300 members of the public will gather on the grounds of Windsor Castle to take place in the celebrations.

3. There won’t be a maid of honor.

Meghan has admitted to not having a maid of honor, as she has many good friends and didn’t want to pick favorites.

4. But there will be a best man.

Prince William will act as Harry’s best man.

5. The music will be a mix of traditional and modern.

The couple has chosen to include more contemporary musicians, as well as the expected state trumpeters and orchestra, including Sheku Kanneh-Mason. Mason is a 19-year-old cellist and the first black musician to win the BBC Young Musician of the Year award in 2016.

6. No American presidents (past or present) will be there.

Neither President Trump nor the Obama family will be attending (although it is unclear whether or not they were invited).

7. The honeymoon location is still under wraps.

Although select details of the wedding have been disclosed, the location of the honeymoon has been a closely guarded secret. Most rumored are Botswana (where the couple vacation together early on in their relationship) and Seychelles (where Will and Kate spent time as a newly married couple).

8. No wedding registry, just philanthropic contributions.

The couple has requested donations, rather than presents, to specific charities: CHIVA (Children’s HIV Association), Crisis (which is a British homelessness charity), Myna Mahila Foundation (supporting women in Mumbai’s slums), StreetGames, Surfers Against Sewage and the Wilderness Foundation UK.

9. The cake will be appropriately spring-themed.

The cake has been confirmed to be a lemon elderflower cake, designed and created by Violet Bakery’s Claire Ptak.

10. Springtime foliage will star in the floral arrangements.

The flowers have been confirmed to be branches of beech, birch and hornbeam, and white garden roses, peonies and foxgloves from the gardens and parkland of the Crown Estate and Windsor Park. The royal couple chose Philippa Craddock for floral designs.

For a full schedule of the wedding events, see this agenda by The Telegraph.

Best wishes to the happy couple from across the pond!

Josephine is a fourth year at the University of California Davis, where she is studying Sociology. In her free time, she enjoys picnics at the Davis Farmers Market and watching Friends. She is planning on pursuing a career in writing and hopes to be actively involved in the political realm after graduating. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!