Increase in Hate Crimes Post-Election: My Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Any opinions expressed in this article are not meant to reflect those of Her Campus.

You may or may have not heard about the now-viral Facebook status of an Asian- American woman who was recently a victim of a racially-charged assault in Minnesota. Kathy Mirah Tu expressed her shock and frustration after the incident⎯view her Facebook status below.

Kathy’s experience is one of the many hate crimes that have been reported since Election Day. Many reports on the news are under speculation—though, it is estimated that there have been over 200 reports of hate crimes since last week. Reports of racist graffiti on public property, harassment of Muslim women, and even blackface have surfaced just days after the election.

The recent reports of the mockery, harassment, and assault of marginalized people in the U.S. has baffled me. Has all of this hatred been hiding under a thin veil right before our eyes for so many years?

Although I am not the most informed in the topic of politics, I will say one thing: who we elect as president should speak beyond policies — a president should represent the spirit and culture of America.

Unfortunately, the election has revealed to me the regressive thinking that still resides in our country. When a person who clearly does not care for the lives and rights of immigrants, undocumented people, women, POC, the LGBT+ community, and other minorities becomes the president, it is a sure sign that a lot of America has not made much progress. I am extremely lucky to have grown up in a diverse community, but recently, I have been hit with the reality that I have been living in a bubble that is not at all like the rest of America. Minorities who live in less diverse areas are now feeling even more threatened and intimidated, thanks to the president-elect who has demonized them throughout his campaign. And as a result, hate crimes seem to be on the rise, since the political climate has more or less normalized the fear and hatred of POC and other marginalized groups.

Despite the unsettling recent events, I still have hope that we can move forward. I have seen many people reach out to each other to ensure that everyone feels safe and respected. Now more than ever, I have witnessed the strength of solidarity. From on-campus protests to uplifting social media posts to a simple text message from a friend expressing concern, these acts of justice and solidarity have made me hopeful that we will continue the fight to improve as a nation.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

Amanda is a fourth year UCD student majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior with a minor in Psychology. She is an undergraduate research assistant at an affective neuroscience lab on campus. When she isn't studying or working, Amanda enjoys binge-watching shows on Netflix, doodling, napping, and hanging out with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!