rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Maintain a Healthy Romantic Relationship with Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are many ways to have a successful relationship while fighting mental health issues. Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat usually depict relationships as picture perfect, which can be deceiving. However, the truth behind those images is different from our perception. Everyone experiences conflict — some more frequently than others. When struggling with mental health, the pressure to have a happy life with someone else can be especially discouraging. Here is some advice to help reassure both you and your partner during tough times.

It’s not your fault

Mental health is heavily stigmatized and thus, treated as a trivial matter in many cases. Those suffering mental health such as depression or anxiety are usually shamed, causing them to blame themselves for burdening loved ones. It’s crucial to remember that you’re not the cause of your suffering and that you aren’t alone.

Open up to your partner if you can

Your partner, who deeply cares about you, wants to help. It can be difficult to disclose your thoughts and emotions in fear of pushing them away, but shutting them out can cause more harm. Although it’s not your responsibility to tell them everything, simply letting them know that you’re going through something personal can be reassuring. Also, remember that it’s okay to ask for help when needed.

Don’t lash out and communicate

Mental health can take a toll on your mind and body, causing you to accidentally hurt others around you. Even though it’s never your intention to do so, it’s important to think before you say something you don’t mean. Tell yourself: “Am I upset because of my partner or am I not feeling well?” Instead of lashing out at your partner, sit down and talk about it together— they’re there to listen.

You’re a person, not a robot

You don’t always have to be happy. Sometimes we’re too afraid of being vulnerable around people we care about most. If someone loves you for you, they’ll be there for you at your best and at your worst. It’s not your duty to put on a mask to accommodate people in your life. Take care of yourself first.

Educate

Once again, I want to emphasize that it’s never your responsibility to make others feel better about your mental wellbeing. When dealing with mental health, it can be even more exhausting to teach people about it. However, in a relationship, educating your partner about mental health can benefit both of you in the long run.

Becky is currently a third year Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies and Communication double major with a minor in UWP.