How Having a Car Has Transformed My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s a privilege and a blessing that I have been able to have my car with me for the last three years of my undergraduate career. And as one of the blessed few, I’ve realized that having my car by my side to navigate campus and Davis has allowed me to experience more than I could have experienced without my trusted four-wheeler. 

But with the convenience of having a car also comes the downsides. Parking permits and apartment fees make having a car in college an inconvenience and a discouragement. So if you’re considering whether or not to bring your car up to Davis, here are a few things I’ve learned.

Source: pexels.com

1. Fees

Parking on campus is expensive and at times a hassle. You’re only guaranteed a parking spot at the MU before 9 a.m. and at Hutchinson before 11 a.m. Having morning classes or early work shifts are seemingly the only justifiable uses for a parking permit.

However, as someone who does like being on campus early, parking on campus is totally worth it. It’s nice to skip the bus lines and avoid the fear of being late to class. The comfort of leaving for school on your time and being able to store extra items with you is extremely convenient.

2. Parking within Davis

The layout of downtown Davis is essentially built with the biker and walker in mind. There are very few parking lots and way too many stop signs. But if you live far away from downtown and biking isn’t an option, driving might be your only reliable method. It’s also a convenient one because you don’t have to worry about the weather or time of day that you’re driving. And being able to go on last minute take-out runs is also a plus!

3. Getting around and outside of Davis

I would have never known of the parks, the quirks and the hidden secrets Davis holds if I didn’t have a car and a motivation to go find them. Shopping trips are easier. Exploring is easier. Leaving Davis and going to Sacramento, Tahoe, or the Bay is easier. And those experiences that have taken me out of the bubble of campus have been some of the most defining experiences of my college life.

Source: pexels.com

4. You’ll be the driver for your friends

If you’re the only one with a car among your friends, be prepared to be the driver to dinners, events and activities. While it can get frustrating at times to be the driver at every occasion, it’s also a great feeling knowing that because of you, you and your friends have the option to participate in activities outside of the local ones. And charging for gas money helps keep the cost low!

5. The freedom is worth it

The ability to get in my car and drive anywhere is one of the most liberating feelings. It helps me get away from stresses of academic and social life and reminds me that there’s a world outside of Davis.

All things considered, if you have the opportunity to bring a car up to college with you, you should do it. You’ll find the benefits far outnumber the costs.

Cover photo source: pexels.com

Maria is a fourth year at University of California, Davis where she is double majoring in Economics and Comparative Literature. When she's not studying for her classes or writing up an article, you can find her playing soccer with her friends, working with the UCD School of Education or chowing down on some delicious Thai food with her roommates.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!