Have You Used Your Free Mondavi Ticket?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If you don’t already know, all UC Davis Freshmen and Transfer students get one free ticket to a Mondavi Show of their choosing (some exceptions apply) to use during their first year at Davis. Not a transfer or Freshmen? Register your UCS student account and you can use the student discount of 50% off tickets! If you haven’t used your ticket yet, you’re in luck! There are still some great shows arriving at Mondavi before the year is up. Here’s what I recommend:

If you’re a fan of jazz and admire the legacy of Nelson Mandela, check out the talents of Hugh Masekela and Vusi Mahasela on March 10 at 8 PM, with a free 7 PM pre-performance talk with the musicians and Rahim Reed, the Associate Executive Vice Chancellor of UC Davis.

If you’re looking for live music and a glimpse into Native American culture, check out Tanya Tagaq. The throat singer accompanies the live score to the documentary Nanook of the North (1992) Friday March 13 and Saturday March 14, with pre-performance talks on both days.

If you’re imaginative and want an experience rather than a show, then look into the Earfilms from March 19-21. Blindfolded, the audience will take the audio and narration into their mind for their own mental productions to be created as the story unfolds.

If you’re a former orchestra member or a fan of classical music, check out the London Symphony Orchestra on Saturday, March 21. Regarded as one of the best orchestras in the world, seeing them for free is not an opportunity to be missed!

If you’re looking for something that mixes the grandeur of theater with laid back humor before Spring Quarter starts – tune into the show “Three Acts, Two Dancers, One Radio Host” on Saturday March 28, at 8 PM. Prior to the performance, at 6:30, there will be a free show in the Corin Courtyard by Peter Petty and his Titans of Terpsichore!

Are you a fan of Michael Buble and the big band era? Check out the Max Raabe and Palast Orchester show on Thursday, April 2, at 8 PM. There will also be a free show by the performer prior to the performance at the Corin Courtyard before the show at 6:30!

Are you a fan of Coach Sylvester on Glee? You’ll love Jane Lynch’s solo show See Jane Sing, a combination of comedy, charm, and show tunes on April 9 at 8 PM.

Can’t stop watching Pitch Perfect? Try watching a real acapella competition! On April 10, you can see the 11th HellaCapella showcase and sing your heart out! Proceeds from this show go towards the Women’s Empowerment organization.

If you want to see performance that transcends the medium of performance, check out the Quixotic performance on April 12. Well known from the TEDTalk, the artists of Quixotic use dance, interactive light and aerobatics to create a whimsical show.

Want to know what happens after It Gets Better? Dan Savage, writer and co-creator of the web movement It Gets Better, will be at the Mondavi on May 6 as part of the Distinguished Speaker Series.

I was born and raised in Northern California and studied English with a Professional Writing minor at University of California, Davis. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!