Get Published through O’Words!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Publishing is often an intimidating idea for young writers, who may initially be unsure of the quality of their work or where to start. The best way to break the ice is just to start trying to get your stuff out there, and the good news is that there are many small presses who will likely publish you — all you have to do is try!

If you need an idea for a place to start, O’Words is an anthology that college seniors Sasha Kasoff and Kylina Matteoli are compiling for poetry and fiction that you can submit your work to. The deadline is set for Valentine’s Day in February (but don’t worry, your submissions don’t have to have a love theme!). The editors are currently working to receive grants in the hope that every contributor will be able to receive a free copy by summer vacation.

The two editors, Sasha Kasoff, a senior at University of the Pacific, and Kylina Matteoli, a senior at UC Davis, are both published authors who are excited to be taking on the challenges of compiling and editing. “We recognize that our fellow classmates have work that is publishable and we want to honor that through our anthology,” says Kasoff.

O’Words is not able accept every submission, but the editors will get back to you quickly so that you may have a chance to resubmit before the deadline. It is open to all forms of writing, preferably your best two or three pieces to ensure a better chance of being accepted.

“We ask that the pieces you submit are short so that as many worthy pieces as possible can be included,” says Kasoff. A several sentence bio about yourself will go below your piece, so please include one with your submission as well.

Please spread the word about O’Words far and wide! Email your pieces, and feel free to ask for the full flyer (or other any questions you may have) at o_words@yahoo.com; the editors look forward to reading your work!

Kylina is a fourth year English major at UC Davis. She has worked as a contracted editor and author for Book Buddy Digital Media Publishers. Her poems have been published in several magazines and anthologies. Next year she plans to continue her studies as a graduate student in the MA Creative Writing program at Oxford Brookes University.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!