Frances Dolan: Distinguished Professor of English

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Professor Frances Dolan, recent winner of the UC Davis Prize for Undergraduate Teaching and Scholarly Achievement

After a riveting lecture on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I met with Frances Dolan, a Distinguished Professor of English at UC Davis, to talk about children’s literature, studying and teaching literature, and life outside of academia.

How long have you been teaching at Davis, and what do you like about it?

I’ve been teaching at Davis since 2003 and I love the diversity of our students. I also like public universities. I really believe in them.

Why children’s literature?

I first taught it a couple of years ago. I was the Undergraduate Director in the department and as we were revising our curriculum, I realized we had a children’s lit class and nobody on our faculty taught it. I thought we should invest in this class because students wanted it. So I started teaching it, and the initial startup was enormous. What I love about it is that most people have a book on the list at least that they think, “oh, this is my book,” and there’s always at least one book they’ve never read. I think both of those experiences are important. As the class has evolved though, for me, one of the most important parts has become starting with the canonical folk and fairytales, which is hard work, since I make people read a lot in the beginning. But I think it pays off because as you go on you realize, “I’m so prepared to see where this [children’s literature] all comes from.” I’m always rethinking this class though, and thinking of what to teach next.

What is your favorite class to teach?

I’m a Shakespeare and Renaissance scholar, but I always like what I’m teaching and whatever I’m about to teach. What I love about Shakespeare and Children’s Lit are two separate things. What I love about Shakespeare is that I’ve been working on Shakespeare for so long that there are times when I’m like “hit me, what questions do you have?” and I feel comfortable with that. It’s not like I always know the answer, but I know just where to find it. I have a confidence and openness in Shakespeare that comes with building expertise over time. What I love about Children’s literature is that there’s always expertise in the room that’s greater than mine. The level of expertise that some people have is great.

What made you want to teach and write about literature?

I wish I could say I had this absolutely clear plan to do this with my life, but I’m not sure I did. I think I went towards English because that’s where all my best teachers were and where I had the most fun. The surprise for me was teaching because I went to University of Chicago and didn’t have a TA ship or teaching experience. I just jumped in and realized I liked how interactive and social it is, and how I never know what’s going to happen. I also like the quiet concentration part of research, and research libraries. The concentration is something I aspire to give students because I think it’s harder for you guys now, since you have more stimulation than I had.

What do you like to do outside of academia?

I really like Davis! I’m such a Midwesterner, but it’s been such an easy transition. I love the Farmer’s Market—I’m pretty much there every Saturday and love getting to know the people who are selling. I think it’s such a privilege to be able to talk to the people who grow my food. I love cooking, gardening, hiking, and taking dance classes. I have a whole reading life that has nothing to do with my academic life. I also love this part of the country because of all the places you can go. I love the Midwest, but here, I can go to Napa, Sonoma or Point Reyes from Davis and I think that’s incredible.

How was going to Disneyland for the first time? You mentioned it in class, and I just had to ask.

I’m really glad I went because so many of my students are Californians and have been to Disneyland. It’s really interesting to me to see how Pirates of the Caribbean was influenced by Treasure Island, but also how it has shaped what people think a pirate is in various ways. I feel like Disneyland is this subtext for teaching Children’s Literature in California, so I feel like I had to go. My niece’s nine-year-old found it absolutely enchanting and it was a success, I think.

Alida Araica attended UC Davis and graduated with a BA in English and minors in communication and technology management. Alida is passionate about 90's rom-coms, skin-care, iced coffee and running.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!