Discover UC Davis: 20 Item Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether you’re swamped with senioritis or you’re a bright-eyed freshman, you’ve surely completed a few of UC Davis’ 50 Aggie Traditions by now. Some traditions are easier than others; including eating at the Coffee House (Co-Ho), working out at the ARC, or snagging a selfie with an Egghead. Annual events – like Pajamarino and Davis Neighbors Night Out – are a little harder to grab if you’re busy during move-in week. Yet, despite the rich history of traditions on campus, there are a few unofficial ones that contribute to the Aggie undergraduate experience. Grab your friends and complete this 20-item list before you graduate!

1. Catch Tube-Socks at an Athletics Game: There’s nothing more entertaining than watching Aggies scream with joy for the chance to catch one of these bad boys. Don’t be quick to judge – only a handful are tossed out at each game, and you won’t find the same design at a UC Davis store. I was lucky enough to grab one at my first UC Davis Men’s basketball game, call it beginner’s luck!

2. The BUZZ: By far, this event is one of the best ways to kick off the beginning of a new school year. The quad transforms into a mini-fair with jumpers, booths overflowing with free swag bags, and an annual concert. Former performances include The Cataracs, Outasight, and Schwaze. (Taylor Swift, please perform at the 2015 BUZZ. Otherwise, there might be teardrops on my guitar.)

3. Have an Off-Campus Apartment: Although dorms can be your first step into independence, extra responsibilities come your way with your own apartment. You’ll need to pay rent with housemates, do collective chores, and occasionally cook on your own. Don’t let these responsibilities scare you away – Davis has an abundance of off-campus living choices, including the chance to live in the downtown area. Waking up and strolling to Crepeville in the morning? Yes, such perfection exists.

4. Find & Walk Across this Death Star Bridge: As if the Death Star isn’t confusing enough, even the most curious students will need to do extra searching to find the entrance to this gem. If you’re unafraid of heights, you’ll get a great view of campus from this bridge. (Hint: You’ll need to take an elevator to get there.)

5. Get on the IM Wall: This task might take the longest to achieve. Don’t stress – it’s a good way to plan to meet with your friends, get active, and have a little friendly competition. (If all else fails, maybe we can just Photoshop ourselves onto one of the wall pictures…) 

6. Nap on the Quad: Ready, set, snooze. Year-round you can rely on the quad as the best place to doze off between classes, or to soak up a little sun. Keep on the lookout though: you might just end up on the UC Davis Snapchat page for your dreamy state of mind. (Does anyone not have a perpetual fear of napping in class and waking up to find a Snap of yourself on the Facebook page?)

7. Attend an A Cappella Showcase: Our A Capella scene at UC Davis couldn’t get more “Pitch Perfect.” Each year, the annual HellaCappella concert draws audiences from all around Northern California. You can catch UC Davis groups The Spokes, Lounge Lizards, and the Liquid Hotplates vocally serenading the audience. You won’t have to wait long for HellaCappella: get a preview of one of last year’s performing groups, the UC Davis Afterglow, with their upcoming “Lights Low with the Afterglow” showcase. Prepare to swoon, Aggies, they put the XY in sexy.

8. Study in the “Harry Potter” Room: AKA, the main reading room in Shields Library: This room isn’t hocus-pocus, it’s real. Dubbed the Harry Potter Room for its grand lighting and seating, this hub will become your perfect studying oasis. (The numerous outlets are also magical.)

9. Rub the Bookhead Before an Exam: On the note of studying at the library, make sure to give this fella a pat on the head as you walk out from Shields. For years students have rubbed this egghead for good luck prior to an exam. I’ll admit, I’ve done it once, and I actually aced that exam. Whether I aced the exam from my own willpower or the almighty egghead, it’s worth trying out.

10. Relax in a Hammock: Snagging one of these is our own version of the Hunger Games. During any passing time or mid-day on campus, you can guarantee that these hammocks will be full. Once you find an empty one, kick back, relax, and don’t forget to take the typical hammock photo!

11. Find the Lovelock Bridge in the Arboretum: At UC Davis you won’t have to travel great lengths to find romantic, worldly inspiration. The Arboretum’s dedication to love mirrors the love padlocks on Pont des Arts in Paris (although on a smaller scale). Find this bridge, and share the moment with someone you love.

12. Ride the London-Style Double-Deckers: Because when else will you ever? Adding to the idea of worldly inspiration, these Unitrans rides hail directly from London. Pip-pip cheerio, next stop: University Mall!

13. Explore Lower Freeborn: It’s a maze down here! You’ll find our local radio station, KDVS, spinning beats every hour from student DJs. KDVS’ extensive music library includes vinyls, cassettes, and CDs dating decades back. The California Aggie and The Pantry are also located in this underground zone.

14. Visit the Domes: This communal-style housing area hails back to the 1970’s and features mandatory community meetings and dome-wide dinners. It’s a sight worth seeing, as it’s a place that greatly differs from typical dorms and apartment complexes. Say hi to the Domies and discover Davis history!

15. Phone-Booth Photo-Op: Re-create One Direction’s ‘Take Me Home’ album, or see how many of your friends can fit inside this popular campus landmark. Four points to you and Glen Coco if you can take a photo with Gunrock in it also. (In fact, all points to you if you get Gunrock and Glen Coco.)

16. Visit the Enchanted Cellar: Every year it happens: you plan to have a unique Halloween costume, but settle for last year’s costume when Halloween rolls around the corner. Get your costume and inspiration from this lesser-known feature of the Department of Theatre and Dance, the Enchanted Cellar. Rent from over 500 costumes and accessories from the Department, and get a 50%-off discount by just being a student! #Yaaas. So, swap your cat costume for an elaborate Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy.

17. Take a Photo with the UC Davis Sign: If you haven’t yet, do it now! Since our school is home to some of the friendliest students in the nation, ask someone walking by to snap your photo.

18. Movie Night in the Pavilion: After coming back to Davis for the start of fall quarter, unwind and catch up with your friends at the annual Pavilion movie night. Last year’s movie paid homage to both our childhood and freshman year of college with Monsters, Inc. Bring some snacks!

19. Get Featured on #YourSchoolYourView: UC Davis’ Instagram features weekly student photos on their Instagram with the hashtag, #YourSchoolYourView. The hashtag has wildly captured student attention, and has even paved the way for UC Davis Instagram Takeovers. If you get a great shot of yourself doing one of the items on this bucket list, who knows, you just might get featured.

20. Bonus Round: If you’ve made it through the first 19, here’s the bonus round. Finish any of these other un-traditional items: find the mystery bed hidden in Haring Hall, discover the art tunnel near South Davis/Whole Foods, $5 Tuesday tickets at Regal Cinemas, or explore the sunflower fields during summer in Dixon.

How many have you completed? Comment below!

Cindy Suzuki is a recent graduate of the University of California, Davis with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication and double-minors in Professional Writing and Textiles and Clothing. She considers herself a full-fledged fashion aficionado; living and breathing all things fashion related. Follow her fashion journey on Instagram: @cindysuzuki
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!