Cute: What Does It Really Mean?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Cute: A Demeaning Comment or a Huge Compliment

Cute. A word that seems to cut to the core. Why do collegiettes™ have such an averse reaction to his word when it’s being used to describe them?

A boy recently told me that it’s better to be cute than hot. His explanation went something like this: If a girl is hot, all boys want to do is f*** her and move on, but if a girl is cute, you want to keep her around (and maybe even bring her home to meet mom and dad). Unfortunately, this is not the definition that us girls think of when the word cute is being used.

For some reason, cute is often associated with small, little, young, immature, and inexperienced. Considering my being fun sized (or vertically challenged for those pessimists), I have always been described as cute. Although I find the term endearing, I wouldn’t mind being called pretty, beautiful, or hot every now and again. On the other hand, our definition of cute clearly does not match the definition intended from the guys using this term in the way described above. In addition, boys scare easily. Calling a girl pretty or beautiful takes a lot of confidence and cajones. Cute is often easier to say in a joking manner without them feeling so exposed.

Let’s reexamine the word cute. If you type “definition of cute” into a Google search, this is what you will find:
Attractive in a pretty or endearing way.
Sexually attractive.
The definition of cute embodies all of the adjectives that we collegiettes™ want to be described as. Cute is more than being physically attractive; it also includes your awesome personality and intelligence. Being cute means that you not only catch a boy’s attention with your outward appearance, but you keep his attention with your inner beauty.

I won’t deny it, cute can have many definitions depending on the context and tone of its use. What’s important to take away from this article is that cute can mean more than it seems; it is not always referring to things that are small, innocent, helpless, or shy. Cute, when used for its intended purpose, is a huge compliment and a description that you should be proud of. The next time a guy says you’re cute, smile and thank him. You might even add an “I know” or return the compliment!

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!