Confessions of a Coffeeholic: Cafes of Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’ll just come right out and say it – I’m addicted to the bean. The coffee bean, that is. I have multiple cups a day, in a variety of ways. My addiction has even compelled me to have a mini-Keurig machine in my bedroom so I could make my lattes, mochas, and roasts as soon as I roll out of bed in the morning. But when I can’t make my own java because I’m running late for class and trying to catch the Unitrans bus, I venture elsewhere to get my fix. Here is my guide to the best places you can sample some smooth brew in Davis.

Best Place for People Watching – ASUCD Coffee House

I couldn’t leave out our very own CoHo! This is a great gathering place for the entire student body. Sitting on the stools at the counter in front of Swirlz gives you a nice view of the quad and of students walking to and from classes. I think we are all guilty of sipping our Caramel Macchiatos and mindlessly staring at people out the glass window. No shame.

Best Ambiance / Best Study Zone – Mishka’s Cafe

This popular favorite of many undergraduate and graduate UC Davis students is everything a cafe in a college town should be. The warm decor and setup create a very intimate atmosphere, perfect for some down-time and relaxation. However, if you were to look around, most everyone is silently busy at work on their laptops. Their pastries and confections are unique and delicious, and might serve as some motivation to crank out that paper you’re writing.

Best Baked Goods – Whole Foods Market

They provide a comfortable study area, good java, healthy lunch options, a friendly setting… but what really amazes me is the selection and quality of their bakery. From fresh fruit pies and bars to extravagant cupcakes and macarons, your mouth will be watering just staring at their presentation in the case.

Reliability – Starbucks

“A tall vanilla latte with two pumps of hazelnut.” At Starbucks, you know what you’re going to get. Sure, the lines might be painfully long, but somehow when you’re sipping your icy Java Chip Frappuccino, the wait seems to be worth it.

Unique Factor – Cloud Forest Cafe

This cozy cafe provides free WiFi for customers and wide variety in their menu. They have a long list of drinks specially made for each season. My current favorite for a hot Davis day is their affogato – espresso with creamy vanilla ice cream. YUM!

Trending – Dutch Bros

This coffee stop seems to be the biggest craze to hit Davis, with students biking and driving there day and night to treat themselves. I’ll be honest, though – if you consider yourself a true coffee aficionado, this might be just a little too sweet for your taste.

Total Breakfast – Cafe Bernardo

This is the perfect spot for a classic Sunday brunch. Their Eggs Benedict is a clear favorite, and for those like myself who enjoy the sweet side of breakfast, their Amaretto Brioche French Toast is to die for. Pair it with their Cafe Latte served in a beautiful, white mug which makes for a dazzling presentation. The coffee lover in you is sure to be satisfied and ready to take on the day after your morning breakfast at Bernardo’s.

Bridget is a second year student at UC Davis with a passion for fashion and writing. She is involved in the Student Fashion Association and hopes that her love for fashion shows through her blog and #OOTD posts. :) She is also a diehard San Francisco Giants fan and enjoys watching baseball, basketball, and football in her free time.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!