Comedy Specials to Watch When You’ve Got the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The holiday season brings us many beautiful things. Family, cheer, seasonal music, and the yearly watching of Jim Carrey asThe Grinch are all to be enjoyed for an entire month. However, an expectation to feel so joyous at all times is surely a foolish one in most situations. Inevitably, some of us will hit those Winter Blues (I often hit them multiple times before finals even start). Here are some comedy specials to help you get your giggles on when you’re feeling down:

1. John Mulaney’s The Comeback Kid

Quite literally, any Mulaney special that you watch will most likely bring you joy. As one of the best writers in the game, his wit and narratives won’t disappoint you. However, The Comeback Kid was written after Mulaney faced the failure of his self-titled sitcom, and thus he came at this special with everything he has. You won’t want to miss it.

2. Chelsea Peretti’s One of the Greats

Peretti has a sense of humor that truly gives no f*cks, if you will. Her entire special is a parody of how comedy hours are presented, as she takes a prayerful knee in the center of the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. Her special follows this pattern, at one point having dogs in the audience instead of people to make fun of a shot of the audience sharing a laugh. Her narratives are quirky, though sometimes dark. She takes jabs at male confidence, doing one chore and celebrating for ten years, fedoras, and so on.

3. Donald Glover’s Weirdo

Donald Glover is infuriatingly talented at everything that he tries. He’s a musician, an actor, a writer, a producer, a director, and a comedian? And he’s great at all of it? This special explores Glover’s childhood, time as a babysitter, and his enjoyment of his own music. His narrative is impressively real for a man who plays so many characters. Also, he has the best expressions for reaction gifs, so there’s that as well.

4. Ali Wong’s Baby Cobra

Wong films an entire special while extremely pregnant and it is everything that you would expect from that description and more. She roasts her husband, her job, and anyone she wants to with wit, charm, and humor, all while growing an eyeball, or something like that.

5. Iliza Shlesinger’s Confirmed Kills

Shlesinger is a comedienne who truly puts her body into her performance. She is dynamic and energetic on stage, all while performing notable impressions of her own unique characters. Her narratives about life as a woman are unlike most female comics in the game, and she shamelessly talks about the creepiness of her Pinterest boards or her “Party Goblin” within. Any special that you choose to watch by her, be this one or her older one entitled War Paint, will not disappoint.

I hope that these comics can help make the sun shine a little brighter for you on upcoming dreary December days.

Cover image source: Pexels

Last named pronounced like "zucchini," a common summertime squash. University of California, Davis. English major and literature fiend. Proud member of Delta Delta Delta. Theatre kid. Standup comedienne.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!