This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Name: Austen Chen
Grade: 4th year
Major: Double major in Psychology and Managerial Economics
Hometown: Danville, CA
Relationship Status: Single

How Do You Spend Your Time?: I’m a specialist at Apple. I know a lot about iPods and computers and how to fix them. I work at the store in Stoneridge during the weekends and also for a T-shirt company my friends and I started. For fun, I’m a brother in Delta Sig.

How Did You Get Your Company Started?: I’m a transfer student from San Diego State, I went there for two years and then transferred here. My roommate and I started a T-shirt company called Ergo Tedium, its Latin for derived from boredom. I update the website from time to time and handle customer service issues. If people get shirts in the wrong sizes or something goes wrong with an order I facilitate the process.

What Are Your Plans After College?: After college I’ll probably still be interested in Apple. If my T-shirt goes well within the next couple of years I’ll probably have to work there 9-5.  I have a couple of people that work underneath me, which blows my mind because I never thought I’d be running part of a T-shirt company. It’s crazy, I have business cards.

What is Something Most People Don’t Know About You?: I used to be a professional video game player in high school for Call of Duty II. I tore ligaments in my back playing lacrosse and had a hard time doing physical activity. I started playing video games and a team recruited me. It helped me get my job at Apple. When you’re a professional gamer and your sponsored they give you parts that you have to learn about. I made a decent amount of money and it was fun.

Most Embarrassing Moment: My high school sweet heart was really into soccer. In Danville, there’s this nice astro turf complex that is right next to an elementary school that has this little inlet on the corner. It was the weekend and we were kind of fooling around walking home. We were hooking up in the corner of the elementary school. I remember closing my eyes and when I opened them, the next thing I know this seven-year-old kid walked by and just stood in the middle of the street. I feel like I scarred him for life.

A QUICKIE (survey) with the Campus Cutie:

Three pet peeves: I hate minivans in the fast line.  When people ask me a question and they don’t listen to my answer, so I have to repeat myself. When people salvage food that doesn’t have mold on it but the other part of it did.

Favorite feature in a girl: When I don’t know her and she will come up and talk to me or any guy that she doesn’t know, a girl that has that kind of confidence is really attractive.

I love it when: I don’t have to wake up and it’s kind of rainy outside and I’m bundled up in blankets. I also love it when you wake up and your class has already started so you just go back to sleep.

Britney or Christina: When? Right now, Christina, but back when it was “Hit Me Baby One More Time” I’d definitely have to go with Britney.

Favorite Pickup line: “Hey I was wondering if you’d like to maybe go out for some pizza and sex tonight?” She’ll say “No” and you respond with, “What you don’t like pizza?”
Favorite Animal: Dogs and Pandas, all day.

Current Desktop Picture: It’s a graphic I designed myself, it has a dragon and my T-shirt Company’s name.

Favorite Place on Campus: The pathway between Sci Lab and Storer where there are a bunch of trees and benches.

Favorite Fast Food Joint: In-N-Out

One Guilty Pleasure:  Ke$ha “We Are Who We Are” and Katy Perry’s “Firework”

And most importantly, Boxers or Briefs: Boxers

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.