9 Trader Joe’s Items College Students Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I’m a huge fan of Trader Joe’s. Everything about it makes me happy. You got the bubbly Hawaiian theme going on. There are free samples and coffee in the back (always a huge plus). The prices are pretty cheap compared to other grocery stores. Oh, and not to mention you are allowed to try any item you want in the store if you ask an employee. I’ve never done it before (I’m too nervous to) but a friend of mine has. Here’s a list of 9 must-have Trader Joe’s items.

1. New Zealand Sweet Apple Rings

I got hooked on these last year. They are the perfect snack when you’re struggling to eat healthy. They’re super chewy and sweet.

2. Chicken Gyoza Potstickers

I’ve been eating this wonderful product for years now. They got me through living in the dorms (you can microwave them easily!) when I needed something to snack on.

3. Avocado’s Number Guacamole

I love making my own guacamole, but avocados are expensive to buy and go bad pretty fast. Trader Joe’s solves both these problems with these guacamole packets. The product comes with 2 guac containers for a really good price, too. Tip! Freeze the guacamole before and after opening for it to last longer.

4. Whipped cream cheese

I got some friends to change their cream cheese preferences because of this product. If you ever struggle executing the perfect cream cheese spread on your toast or bagel, fret no more. Whipped cream cheese is a thing, and it’s here to save the day.

5. Cilantro & Chive Yogurt Dip

Coming from a middle eastern family, I love Mediterranean yogurt. The first time I tried this yogurt was during my freshmen year of college, and it tastes just like the type of yogurt my mom makes at home. This product is perfect and also a healthy alternative to eat with veggies, chips, and crackers!

6. Squishers

Squishers are a savior snack. It’s an easy to-go item, which I find useful when I’m running late for my 9 am class. My favorite thing to do with these yougurts is to stick them in the freezer so they become— wait for it— frozen yogurt. I like to trick myself into imagining that I’m eating ice cream.

7. Chocolate-Covered Pretzels

We all get chocolate cravings, and what better way to satisfy this craving than with chocolate covered pretzels? Since they’re also PRETZELS, you can pretend you’re eating semi-healthy.

8. Frozen Bell Pepper Strips

I just started using these last year. They’re perfect to add to any meal! They’re frozen to last longer and cut already for your own convenience. Just add them to the pan. They cook fast and make such a flexible side dish to add to anything. Some of my favorite meals to add it to include a breakfast egg scramble (as a side) and in tacos for taco night.

9. Gnocchi alla Sorrentina

This is such an easy go-to meal for lunch or dinner. I don’t know if you ever had Gnocchi but it’s amazing, and it’s super easy to make too. You just toss it on a pan and it’s ready in less than 10 minutes. Easy, fast, and tasty.

None of the images used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

Tara is a senior at UC Davis who is pursuing a degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Her passions include 80's rock music and getting as many food samples as she can at Costco.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!