6 Ways to Stay Healthy for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

During finals, it can be tempting to pull all-nighters, stop working out, or binge on the snacks in your pantry. However, it’s important to maintain good health if you want to do well on your final exams or essays. You may not have the time to cook homemade kale burgers or go to the gym every day, but there are still plenty of ways you can take care of yourself.

So keep calm!

1.      Get plenty of sleep.

No matter how much work you have to do, all-nighters are never a good idea. Inadequate sleep has many negative effects on your alertness and mood. You definitely don’t want to feel drowsy and irritable when you have an essay to write for your in-class or take-home final. All-nighters can also inhibit your memory, meaning your brain will retain less information even as you try to force it to absorb more. Try to get at least eight hours of sleep each night. If you absolutely need to study an hour longer than usual, follow up by taking short naps during the day!

2.      Maintain a balanced diet.

We get it. You’re stressed out about your grades and you’re tired from studying all day. But don’t drown your sorrows in ice cream just yet. Studies have linked short-term junk food consumption to decreased brain performance. Instead of Doritos and Pocky, eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and foods rich in omega-3 fats, like fish and walnuts. These bolster brain activity. Also, drink plenty of water and munch on protein bars to keep yourself energized throughout the day. And of course, always eat three meals and a good breakfast.

3.      Stay active!

Regular exercise has positive short-term and long-term effects on cognition, so keep your body moving! Go for a quick jog, do jumping jacks, or ride your bike extra-fast to your favorite study spots.

4.      Do some meditation and yoga.

We never seem to have time to meditate, but meditation and yoga do wonders to lower stress! Try some breathing exercises before you go to bed. You’ll sleep soundly and wake up feeling refreshed.

5.      Lay off the drugs.

Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol inhibit your brain functions. Now is really not the time for a hangover, and stay away from “study drugs.” Even caffeine can disrupt your sleeping schedule, dehydtrate you, make you antsy, and cause your body to crash.

6.      Don’t forget about your mental health!

If you’re feeling too overwhelmed and too far past your stress limit, then now might be a good time to put down your textbooks and engage in another activity. Take a walk. Listen to music. Watch Netflix (but try not to binge on Game of Thrones just yet. Summer is coming.) Talk to your loved ones. And don’t hesitate to ask for help. 

Good luck on finals, collegiettes! We believe in you! You’re almost at the finish line!

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!