you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Impress Your Interviewer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

When you’re trying to score that dream job or internship, interviews can seem terrifying. Fortunately, you don’t have to be quite so intimidated. If you just follow these common sense tips, you can make the perfect impression. 

1) Know the company. 

Do your research and understand the company motto. Refer to it when you talk about how you can contribute to the company.

2) Dress professionally. 

If you feel overdressed, you’re on the right track. It shows that you care about the interview and understand what it means to be professional. Express.com and H&M are great stores for business basics. 

3) Ask for contact information and write a follow-up email. 

Yes, you are being a bit of a kiss-up, but it will make you stand out. Remember to personalize your follow-up email. Make sure the interviewers remembers who you are. Also, be authentic and thank the interviewers for their time. If you think of any questions to ask, shoot them an email or give them a call. 

4) Own what you’re saying.

Even if your story is going nowhere and isn’t the best anecdote that displays your abilities, pretend it’s the best thing you’ve ever done. It shows ownership of your ideas and your decisions. Interviewers like that.

5) Practice a few example stories with a friend to help boost your ego. 

Always have a story in which you were a team player, a leader, and when you failed and learned from it. Give yourself a 15 minute pep talk before your interview. It will help you feel more confident. 

Hi, my name is Wendy Hwong and I am currently a fourth-year Communication Studies and Cognitive Science major at the University of California, Davis. In my free time, I enjoy long talks and study sessions in hole-in-wall coffee shops, hiking scenic trails, finding foodie hubs, DIY projects, reading, blogging every so often, and trying to stay fit. On my campus, I am involved in the Professional Sorority and Fraternity Council for Phi Alpha Delta, am a notetaker for the Student Disability Center, and run the publicity campaign for Relay for Life. Writing is one of my passions because it is one of the best ways I have found to connect with others and gives me the ability to create something completely original.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!