This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Midterms. Yes, I see you shuddering at the mere mention of these deadly tests. Next to finals, they are the next most-hated thing of any college student’s quarter or semester. Even worse is the studying that students put themselves through in the days leading up to midterms and the five stages of studying for midterms that they must pass through before completing the rest of the quarter.

Stage 1: The Energized Student

You’ve got this. You are feeling like a confident boss lady who could take on the world. You’ve been dutifully going to lectures and discussions, taking notes, doing the readings, the homework, and passing the quizzes thus far. You’re armed with your study guide, an arsenal of notebooks, colored pens and highlighters, a cup of coffee, and a positive attitude about the next several hours you plan to spend studying your butt off. Nothing can stop you; you’re an energized student who has their mind set on passing this test.

Stage 2: Self-Doubt/Panic

This stage usually occurs after quite a few hours at the library, or a few days before the midterm itself. Your energy (or the coffee you’re drinking) is wearing off. Words and numbers are starting to blur on the pages before your eyes, and you’re starting to wonder whether or not you actually know the material. The voice in the back of your head is starting to get louder and louder and the fear begins to set in.

Stage 3: The Crash and Cram

Perhaps the most frequently experienced stage out of the five. It’s the night before the test and you’re this close to falling asleep on your books. It’s looking back at your copious notes from class and realizing that you know absolutely nothing. There are still 15 formulas or concepts you haven’t even touched but you’re not sure if you have enough room in your brain to fit them. You have evolved into full-on panic mode, and are slowly realizing that you may not get the full 8 hours of sleep you planned on tonight.

Stage 4: The Test

The most dreaded stage because today is the day. You struggle to face the fact that there are a finite number of hours before you walk into academic battle armed with only a pen and your wits. But you file in with your fellow peers nonetheless, and take a deep breath as you sit down and open your booklet, praying for the best.

Photo source: Pexels

Stage 5: Euphoria

Stage 5 is, of course, everyone’s favorite stage because GOSH DARN IT YA DONE DID IT! You survived stages 1-4 and you conquered the midterm. Your hand is still shaking from the cramps it suffered and you feel a bit lightheaded because of all the information that is now leaving your brain, but it’s finally over.

Now, all that’s left to do is live through this emotional rollercoaster ride again for the next exam!

Cover photo source: Pexels

Helena is currently a second year studying English at UC Davis and plans to minor in Professional Writing and Technology Management. When she's not furiously writing notes in class, you can find her answering phone calls in the Dean's office at the UC Davis School of Law. She enjoys reading, listening to music, writing, eating (lots of) food, and spending time with family, friends, and her Tri Delta sisters.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!