absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Soup Recipes That Will Keep You Warm (and Lean!) This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Winter in Davis, Calif. is no doubt mild compared to harsher climates in the United States, but even though it’s just below 50 degrees out, when I think of what I want to eat while I’m bundled up at home, it’s mac ‘n’ cheese. As much as it pains me to say this, this listicle is not about mac ‘n’ cheese — mac ‘n’ cheese will not help us reach our fitness goals we’ve set for ourselves this new year; instead, it might clog our arteries and make us feel tired. Now that we can all tell I’m bitter about not being able to eat what I want, let’s move on to the star of my winter food prep: Soup!

Making a big pot of soup and eating it throughout the week can not only be an incredibly yummy and nutrient-dense plan, but most of the soups below cost under $20 to make!

1. Vegetarian kale soup

This soup is vegan-friendly and somehow hardy from the bean and tomatoes — I recommend using double the kale and half the potatoes for a lighter, micro nutrient-packed meal. Click here for the recipe!

2. Healthy chicken soup

Even if it’s just for the comfort factor, chicken soup always makes everyone feel better when they’ve come down with a cold. Keeping it gluten and starch-free is a tasty and healthy variation on the classic soup. Brown the chicken, then toss a bunch of veggies in. Personally, I use carrots, leeks, onions, mushrooms, celery, vegetable stock, and seasoning. Get the recipe here

3. (Yes!) Ramen

Ramen tastes like how receiving a great hug feels, and there are so many different versions that are all amazing. The Davis/Sacramento area has awesome ramen so I leave it to the professionals (shout-out to Ryujin in Sac.!), but if you’re feeling adventurous, try this recipe out.

4. Wonton soup

Another Asian dish that is so simple, but always a favorite, is wonton soup. I buy pre-made wontons from The Dumpling House in downtown Davis and use them to make a super quick and easy wonton (or in my case, dumpling) soup at home. This rendition works as well!

5. Pea soup

Lastly, taking all the veg that may be about to go bad in your fridge and blending it all together into a creamy texture is just about the easiest thing you can do in the kitchen. Most vegetables will suffice, but I recommend pea soup because I have an affinity for peas, and I like the color green. Here’s how to make it!

Best of luck on your soup journey this winter! I’ll be right there with you.

None of the photos used belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis.

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!