burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Makeup Products and Trends I Don’t Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

There are several reasons I don’t wear makeup regularly. One reason is that I’m lazy and I like to sleep in. Another reason is that I don’t own very much makeup, and I have no idea where to begin in buying some. But honestly, the main reason is because I’m just not very good at it. Part of the reason I’m not good at makeup is because sometimes I just don’t understand it.

Lipstick

I’ve only worn lipstick a handful of times in my life, but each time I look like a toddler who thought it would be fun to paint her face. For some reason, I’m never able to keep the lipstick just on my lips. It ends up all over my face and hands, resulting in more trouble than it’s worth.

Courtesy of GIPHY

Contouring

I am convinced that anyone who can successfully contour is a makeup magician. I don’t know how to explain how contouring confuses me, because I don’t even understand the concept as a whole. I can barely put my eyeliner on in a semi-straight line, but people are able to enhance their facial structures. Makeup contouring is truly an art form.  

Courtesy of GIPHY

Smokey Eyes

The smokey eye look is so difficult to master, but it looks so cool. I can hardly manage one color of eyeshadow on my eye without looking ridiculous, but people are blending several different colors and looking fabulous.

Courtesy of GIPHY

Fake Eyelashes

I hate going near my eyes, which might be why I do not understand fake eyelashes. It amazes me how people are able to glue eyelashes onto their eyelids and make it look beautiful. The idea is terrifying to me, and I am forever in awe of people who can rock false eyelashes.

Courtesy of GIPHY

Winged Eyeliner

I absolutely love the look of winged eyeliner, but I just can’t do it. I have tried using tape, spoons, and my ID card, but my lines are still never even. I’m just doomed to a life without perfect wings.

Courtesy of GIPHY

No amount of YouTube tutorials or Pinterest boards will ever make me a beauty guru, but maybe one day I’ll understand a makeup trend enough to attempt it.

Courtesy of GIPHY

Cover image courtesy of Pexels

Ravina is a second year Comparative Literature major at UC Davis. When not studying, she enjoys watching Brooklyn Nine Nine and rereading the Harry Potter series.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!