This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It may seem counterproductive, but one of the best ways to cure writer’s block is to stop writing. Let your mind rest for a while. Your creativity will come back to you when it’s time. Here’s what you can do while you’re waiting:

1.     Take a walk.

Changing your environment and stretching your muscles can get rid of that block in your head pretty quickly.

2.     Do some chores.

Sometimes, we think of our best ideas while doing mundane activities like vacuuming or washing dishes. 

3.     Work on other homework.

By staying productive while you wait for new ideas to come to you, you’ll save yourself from becoming even more stressed out.

4.     Have a conversation with your friends and family.

They can help you brainstorm or give you feedback on what you’ve already written.

5.     Play with your pet.

One of the main causes of writer’s block is anxiety, and pets are known to help relieve anxiety and lower blood pressure. 

6.     Read.

Maybe you know what you want to write about, but you’re not sure how to write it. Reading what other people have to say about your topic can help you organize your thoughts. Find some new writing prompts or research some detailed facts about your topic for inspiration. 

7.     Take a nap.

No matter how hard you try, you’re not going to be able to generate any intelligent thoughts if you’re only running on a few hours of sleep.

8.     Grab a healthy snack.

A well-nourished body is absolutely essential for a creative mind.

9.     Listen to music.

Ideally, you should listen to something upbeat, but without lyrics, so that you can find the energy to write.

10.     Take a bath.

Grab a glass of wine and your favorte book, and relax. A tub of warm water is good for your mind and soul – but bad for the drought! Only do this as a last resort. 

Megan Taylor Hartenstein is an English major and Women's Studies minor at the University of California, Davis. Give her something to write with, and she'll create a masterpiece. While she loves journalism and writing short stories, her dream is to become a television or film writer. Megan is a proud feminist, and loves to incorporate feminist principles in everything she writes.       
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!