10 Self-Care Methods to Prevent a Massive Emotional Breakdown during Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As the studious college students that we are, I can’t help but hate midterms and term papers. Teachers typically think that their class is the only priority and that we don’t deserve to have a little fun. How exactly is that fair? Fortunately, there are little things that we can do to prevent compete stress-related emotional break downs. Read on for some fun, relaxing, preventative measures.

1. Face masks & bath bombs

Don’t you guys just want to channel your inner Blair Waldorf and Zen and treat yourself to a spa day? Well, I have just the thing for you. A spa day for one at your humble abode (which can vary from an apartment, house, shack, car, etc.). Put on that face mask that you bought a year ago and take a long, hot bath. Rid yourself of the stress.

2. 10-minute meditation

Take some time for you. Put on some soothing sound of the waves crashing on the shore (or whatever noise is calming to you; clearly, I like the beach) or look up a simple meditation on YouTube and try to forget about all the s*^t going up in flames around you. Just try to forget for ten minutes and be in the moment. Easier said than done. I am aware.

3. Workout/Yoga

When in doubt, sweat it out! Sometimes the create juices don’t start flowing until you release some endorphins and get happy for a bit. Midterms can certainly put a damper on these beautiful 85-degree fall days; however, try not to let it. Take a break and go on a short run. Take a yoga class (at Bikram Hot Yoga, it’s the best!)

4. Look up pictures of corgis.

Must I say more? I actually hate corgis but it seems apparent that these miniature dogs are the craze right now. If they prevent massive break downs, why not?

5. Coloring therapy

Am I the only person that still brings coloring books on the occasional airplane? Do I feel completely ridiculous and childish? Yep and yep. However, there is something so soothing about coloring within the lines. No thinking required. Just shading in shapes. Seriously, give it a try. You don’t have to tell anyone.

6. Make a new playlist

I am certainly outnumbered; however, I love country music. When I am overwhelmed and stressed beyond belief, I build a new playlist and tell myself I can listen to it once I get through all of the stress. It gives your brain a nice break and something to look forward to once the studying comes to a halt. Music is therapeutic, especially Jon Pardi and Russel Dickerson (give them a listen; they’re dabomb.com).

7. Dance party

There is nothing else to say here.

8. Watch an episode of your favorite TV show

Pick one (and only one) episode of your current favorite TV show that you are binge-watching on Netflix. Watch it and enjoy every second. Laugh the entire time and you will come back to your studying refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to take on the world. That may be taking it a little too far, but I do think giving your brain a little break helps you come back bigger and better.

9. Have a delicious snack.

Animal fries? Coffee from Dutch Bros? Oatmeal? Cereal? Eggs? A potato? What sounds good to you? Go eat it. And a lot of it. And drink some water while you are at it. Chances are you aren’t at your best while studying because you haven’t eaten enough and are dehydrated. Have a snack and stay hydrated. It’s good for you, not to mention it tastes great.

10. Chill with your awesome roommate

I don’t know if any of you are lucky enough to have dope roommates, but I am, and I swear they save my life on a daily basis. They alone are stress relievers. There is so much you can do with them. Go to the pumpkin patch, learn how to throw a football, relearn how to ride a bike, cook, grocery shop, and the list goes on. Just hang out with them. They’ll take the edge off. Procrastinate and irritate — that’s the new motto.

Sarah Boro is a junior studying Communications and psychology. She attended the University of Washington in Seattle for two years, however her love for the California sunshine brought her to Davis for the next two years. Sarah is from the San Francisco Bay Area (along with half of the UCD population) and looks forward to being able to see her family more often. She has always loved to write and feels that Her Campus is the perfect outlet for a fun, creative, and a semi-informal writing environment. Aside from writing, Sarah enjoys spending time with her friends and family, yoga, and taking in the sunshine.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!