diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Foods That Help Prevent Acne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

You wake up excited to start the day only to look in the mirror and see the worst thing imaginable— a huge pimple on your face. We all dread acne, especially in college when we thought that part of our lives was over. I mean, we’re way past the age of puberty, so why are new zits popping out now? It’s embarrassing and annoying. However, here is a list of 10 acne-fighting foods to help deal with the breakouts.

1. Flax seeds

Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help in keeping acne under control. Just add some into your smoothies, and you’re good to go!

2. Artichoke

While it’s not the most delicious food there is, artichokes are full of antioxidants and vitamin C. Eating one every once in a while will help make your skin flawless.

3. Brown Rice

We all love carbs, so what better way of fighting annoying breakouts than eating a bowl of warm, delicious brown rice? It contains vitamin B, Magnesium, and protein.

4. Carrots/Bell Peppers (Basically Anything Orange)

Beta-carotene is found in orange colored foods and gives the body vitamin A, which helps reduce the oil that the body produces— meaning less acne!

5. Garlic

Not only does it enhance the flavor in your food, garlic contains anti-bacterial properties and works as an all-natural antibiotic.

6. Green tea

Having a cup of warm green tea helps fight acne because of the antioxidants it contains, and it also helps with weight loss!

7. Oats

Make some oatmeal in the morning! Oats contain zinc, which helps fight inflammation and prevents incoming acne.

8. Avocado

Avocado is so good! This food is not only delicious, but it helps to moisturize the skin and tighten it!

9. Nuts

Nuts have so many vitamins and nutrients in them, so it’s no surprise that they can help fight off acne. Remember: healthy fats are good fats.

10. Water

This one is the most obvious, but people still neglect it. Water is incredibly necessary for the body. When we don’t drink enough of it, the body has a hard time getting rid of the wastes that lead to breakouts. Make sure to drink your eight full glasses of water everyday!

None of the pictures in this article belong to the author or Her Campus UC Davis. Thumbnail courtesy of Pexels.

Annette is a freshman at UC Davis. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, painting, drawing, and keeping up with politics. 
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!