Top 12 Most Popular TV Shows of 2012!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Nowadays, there are TV shows that bring in more than 3 million viewers per episode! What shows can become that popular? Some shows become popular because of humor, famous actors, and intense plot lines that grab the viewers’ attentions.

12. Glee

Of course Glee would be on this countdown! Glee has been very well recognized both nationally and internationally. Glee is an American musical comedy-drama show that displays teenage drama including relationships, sexuality, and social issues. Many people love musical related movies like Grease, High School Musical, and much more. Glee is different compared to other TV shows because it does not involve violence but instead high school drama that teens are more interested in learning about. Glee is an amazing show and if you would like to learn more about the characters, go watch an episode!

11. American Horror Story

American Horror Story is a TV show like no other! It is like a never ending horror film! The first season is based on the Harmons family, which is named American Horror Story: Murder House. The first season was very creepy and suspenseful because there were so much drama and suspense. The second season is even creepier with the name American Horror Story: Asylum. The second season is set during the 1960’s and follows the stories of patients, doctors, and nuns who occupy an institution for the criminally insane. If you enjoy getting scared or having that suspenseful feeling in your stomach then this is a must watch for you!

10. Breaking Bad

This show is, of course, on the countdown! Breaking Bad became an exciting action filled TV series that captivates underage viewers along with adults. It is intended for mature audiences but we know that underage kids watch the show as well! A high school Chemistry teacher called Walter White is diagnosed with lung cancer in the first episode. He turns to a different type of life and starts to sell methamphetamine with a former student of his named Jesse Pinkman. He starts to sell drugs in order to leave his family in good financial standing when he passes away in the future. This show is action filled and intense that the fifth and last season was split into two. The last few episodes will premiere in the summer of 2013. Breaking Bad is an amazing show to stay addicted to during a few weeks of vacation.

9. The Big Bang Theory

Watching a show where you have no idea what some of the guys are talking about is interesting! I don’t know if you have seen it, but for me personally, when Sheldon speaks I have no idea what he is talking about when he brings up Physics. What I love about this show is that four nerds are the best of friends but also go through the funniest hardships, especially when it comes to getting girls. Penny, the main lady in the show, is just a normal looking girl that the boys love to look at but are also best friends with. This show is full of comedy and all of their mishaps and problems are what make it hilarious. This show has been popular ever since it premiered and it is still doing really well right now. You must watch this show!

8. Two and a Half Men

This would have been number one on this list a few years ago when Charlie Sheen was the main character of the show. It is still attracting a lot of viewers, which is why it is on our list, but the ratings are not as high as when Sheen was on the show. But now that Ashton Kutcher took his place, the show is doing really well! Alan and Jae are still on the program and Ashton Kutcher plays Walden one of Alan’s best friends who purchased Charlie’s beach house. The show is still funny and you are able to see the characters grow up, especially Jake because he was a kid when he started; now he is almost a grown adult. The show is still comedic and enjoyable even with a bit of bad press the show it is still doing pretty well.

7. Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation premiered in 2009 and was compared a lot to The Office but they differentiated themselves in a good way after season two. Leslie Knope played by Amy Poehler is a unique and very ditzy character that is a government official for parks and recreation. Other characters are extremely funny and sometimes clueless about their jobs at the government facility. This show is hilarious, full of random problems, and moments that the characters have. The most random character I would say is Andy played by Chris Pratt. He is the really dumb character but is one of the funniest because of his randomness. If you like The Office then you are going to love Parks and Recreation!

6. The Office

The Office is next on our countdown! The Office has been a hit series since 2005! Steve Carell was the loveable Michael who was an obnoxious idiotic boss that made the show very funny. Now, Michael is gone but all the loveable characters are still there with the season finale winding down. The Office has had an amazing run and Dwight has made it funny with the prank wars he would have with Jim. The last episode will be sad and it will be hard to say goodbye but if you have not seen any episodes you should start from season one and I promise you that you will laugh at every episode.

[pagebreak]

5. Sons of Anarchy

One of the craziest gang related shows on TV today! Sons of Anarchy is full of action, drugs, murders, sex, and gang violence that every episode is always left with the most intense cliff hangers. It is one of the most highest viewed shows on FX and it currently just finished with its fifth season. The fan base of Sons of Anarchy is growing and the show gains more viewers per season. Jax, one of the main characters in the show, shines a lot more the fifth season and the fifth season is filled with drama and even death of one of their own. This show is a MUST watch! This show next year can even be number one if there are a lot more viewers.

4. New Girl

Zooey Deschanel plays the beautiful Jess on New Girl. She is a funny, nerdy, and awkward character. Jess has a hard time adjusting to reality when her boyfriend cheats on her and has to find a place to live. She finds a place with three other guys and when she moves in the first thing she does is to watch Dirty Dancing all day for one week. It was hilarious that she copes with a breakup not so well. Jess grows as a person very slowly within each episode. Schmidt, Nick, Winston, and Jess are the crazy four roommates that deal with crazy shenanigans. And right now, season two is doing a lot better than season one. You must watch at least one episode to see the beautiful Zooey Deschanel.

3. How I Met Your Mother

How I Met Your Mother or for short HIMYM was first aired in 2005 thinking that the cast was only going to do the most three seasons but now they are on their eighth season and they are stronger than ever! Marshall and Lily’s relationship is stronger than ever, Ted, Robin, and Barney are still trying to find their place and trying to find their significant other. Every character has grown up gradually even Barney has grown from his selfish ways (well, only when he wants to). Lily and Marshall on the eighth season have their bundle of joy which makes it even cuter that their relationship has been through so much and they finally had a baby. If you have not seen an episode of HIMYM then you are not living your life to the fullest! This show needs to be watched daily! It is that Legen…Wait for it…dary!

2. Modern Family

Modern Family is one of the most realistic and funniest shows I have ever seen. The show focuses on three families which one of them is a regular husband, wife, and three kids family. The other two are: one with two dads and an adopted daughter while the other has an older father/husband, a young and sexy Latin wife with her son from previous marriage. The families are unique and awkward at times but at the end of the day they are all family and they get through their ups and downs. When they do have ups and downs they are hilarious! Modern Family has one so many TV choice awards that its one of the most popular shows on public television. And new episodes of the fourth season are airing right now every Wednesday at 8 p.m. on ABC. Modern Family is a personal favorite for me. You will be left speechless on how funny and chaotic this family is!

1. The Walking Dead

Finally we are at number one!!!! Of course, the most talked about television series of the year is The Walking Dead! The Walking Dead has received so much attention this third season and it has broken cable TV viewership records. On the season three premiere, it nearly hit 11 million viewers that it became the most-watched basic cable drama telecast in history. This TV drama is about a post zombie apocalypse where only a few remaining humans are survivors and they are trying to find others and trying to find a shelter. So much suspense and intensity every episode is what makes The Walking Dead an amazing zombie phenomenon. I personally love watching this show because you never know what is going to happen or which character will die next. This show is, of course, a must watch. If you have not watched it then you have been living under a rock or in a cave in the middle of nowhere. MUST WATCH!! :D