Say Goodbye to Acne Forever! Ivette’s Nighttime Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

My top acne treatments have been my secret to maintaining healthy skin. I broke out terribly in the beginning of the year and I was searching for something to help get rid of my acne. After extensive trips to Sephora and Ulta, into my hands fell the perfect items that I have not been able to live without. A good night routine has been the one thing I cannot miss any night, regardless of how exhausted I may be. If you want to see what products have been working for me to get rid of acne, I recommend to reading below my favorite skincare products. Please note, what may work for me may not work for you. However, I have recommended these products to many friends and they have worked for them.

After I wash my face with my Clarisonic and Philosophy’s purity face wash, I towel dry my face and I put Fresh’s Black Tea Age-Delay Instant Infusion Treatment Toner onto a cotton pad and spread it around my face. This is a great toner because it provides your skin with the perfect amount of moister due to the natural ingredients that it has. It also leaves your skin feeling super smooth and relieves you of any stress you may have. The perfect test to this product is it always takes off the last traces of make up on your skin.

After I apply the toner, I apply a small amount of Philosophy’s Help Me retinol night treatment to any problem areas that I have, or typically break out in. This product is great because being in your 20s is a great time to start applying retinol treatments to your skin which help out with anti-aging. Depending on the type of acne I have, this pretty much clears them up within 2-3 days. This product has vitamin A and helps with minimizing the look of large pores. When you first start this product you peel for about 5 days or so depending on your skin, due to the retinol. However, I highly recommend this product as it only requires 5 days of patience. After your skin is done peeling you can see the youthful look on your skin that it leaves and you are already seeing visibility from the acne that used to be there. Please remember when using retinol based products, you must use sunscreen in the mornings.  I leave Help Me to seep into my skin for a few minutes until I dive in with my moisturizer. For times I have a big white head on my face which require more work than just the Help Me, I use Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion which is an amazing acne spot treatment. There are two sediments in this item. I grab a cotton swab and dip it straight into the bottle and make sure I pull the cotton swab out with the pink sediment at the end and apply it straight onto the white heads. This is going to sting, but only for a little while. Once you wake up in the morning you will be able to see and feel the difference on your skin and you’ll see the white head has significantly decreased. Within 2 days the white head simply becomes an issue of the past. I usually apply the drying lotion to any area where I feel a pimple coming on and it works so effectively that it prevents the white head from appearing.

Ivette Sanchez

UC Riverside

Media and Cultural Studies Major, Women Studies Minor Lover of all things beauty and fashion