This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

V-Day is approaching, and considering it’s on a Saturday this year, you and your significant other have the opportunity to celebrate from day to night without worrying about classes.  If you two prefer to skimp on gas and discover what Riverside has to offer, here are some local, affordable date ideas that will create some cute memories. Have a bae-utiful Valentine’s Day!

Picnic at Fairmount Park

2601 Fairmount Boulevard, Riverside, CA 92501

Picnics are always adorable, and Fairmount Park is the perfect place to have one. You and your S.O. can prepare some food together and head over to the park, which features a beautiful lake, boat rentals, rose gardens, a golf course, and two tennis courts. If enjoying the view isn’t enough, make sure you pick up some bread to feed the ducks for a sweet bonding activity.

Carnival

3981 Chicago Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507

Perhaps you’ve recently seen the random ferris wheel from afar on campus and wondered what’s going on. I stopped by and found out that there’s a carnival at the Big Saver parking lot running until Monday, February 16. There’s a surprisingly large amount of rides and booths considering the limited space, so win some oversized stuffed animals and enjoy some PG-rated fun with your babe.

Dinner at the Salted Pig

3700 12th StRiverside, CA 92501

If you want to go for a casual dinner date, the Salted Pig is a wonderful option. There’s delicious food, great beer, and a relaxing ambiance. Just make sure to call in for a reservation! Fun fact: the restaurant actually opened on Valentine’s Day in 2011.

West Side Story at Riverside Repertory Theater

3635 Market St.

Riverside, CA 92501

If you and your boo are into the performing arts, check out the West Side Story musical the day before their last show. There is an afternoon and evening showing on Saturday, and general admission is priced at $42.

Drive-In Theater

Rubidoux: 3770 Opal Street, Riverside, CA 92509

Van Buren: 3035 Van Buren Boulevard, Riverside, CA 92503

In a generation where drive-in theaters are nearly extinct, Riverside has the advantage of having two: Rubidoux and Van Buren. With two movies for $9 per person, it’s a bargain made for couples. Unfortunately, they aren’t open Saturdays, but who says you have to celebrate love on the exact holiday?

I'm a fourth year, creative writing major who enjoys thrifting, idolizing David Bowie, and consuming inane amounts of hazelnut coffee.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside