Rainy in Riverside – Extra Motivation to go to Class when it’s Raining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Looking outside your window, you’re greeted by gray skies and a wet ground. It’s another day in our usually-sunny Riverside and the rain has hit again; to attend class or not? On rainy days here, the classrooms are usually half empty, and teachers seem grateful to the handful of students who “brave” the rain to make it to class. As a born and raised Seattleite it’s hard for me to view the rain as an obstacle, so I sit in the half-empty classroom, with the other few first years and front-row regulars who made it out. Here are some reasons that might give you some motivation to go to class on those rainy days:

• In smaller classes around 50 people, TA’s and teachers recognize faces of those few who bypass the inconvenience to attend their class. 
  • Those extra points that add up for just attending your discussion (Hello, borderline grade helper!)

• Nobody will notice if you haven’t had time to do anything to your hair today

• You can treat yourself to something hot at Coffee Bean before or after. This is especially applicable around the holidays when they have seasonal drinks

• It’s better to be drenched in water than your own sweat, (Riverside summers…) which leads us to:

• The opportunity to show off your cute rain gear that you only get to wear a few times a year. This includes everything from trench coats and bright rain boots to cute printed umbrellas.

• You’re paying so much in tuition for this class, might as well get your money’s worth!

If all else fails, we can take solace in the fact that we have not yet hit temperatures in the hundreds, and that your bed and a hot shower will be waiting for you when you get back. “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise!” (Cue Les Mis reference)

Stephanie Fong

UC Riverside

Stephanie Fong is a second year Pre-Business major at the University of California Riverside. She discovered her love for journalism while writing for her high school newspaper. She is also the Director of Electronic Communications and a proud member of UCR's Delta Gamma. This adventure-seeking, cardio-kickboxing food-lover can't wait to share her stories with you!
UC Riverside

UC Riverside