Positive Vibes, Please

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Positivity. Sounds like a good thing, right? But it’s being and staying positive that poses a challenge to many, especially to us college kids. Exams, papers, and relationships are just a few categories that bring stress to us all. Truth is, bringing positivity into our lives starts with just a few steps…

1.     Wake up positive

Whether you’re a morning bird or not, you should begin each morning by telling yourself that today WILL be a good day. And don’t forget to smile as soon as you step out of bed!

2.     Avoid turning little things into big things

There are just some things in life we cannot foresee nor prevent. Should your day bring you a little challenge, remind yourself that everything has a solution and that you should not allow this little thing to turn into something it should not.

3.     Surround yourself with positive energy

Try to engage yourself in activities that make you feel uplifted. Surround yourself with people that emit positivity within you. Having a good support system will also help you feel more positive.

4.     Reach out to others

We all tend to forget that there are people out there whom we can reach out to. When you feel like things cannot get any worse for you, remember that there are so many people out there who have faced or are facing a situation similar to yours. Someone will listen. Someone will care. Someone will help.

5.     Live in the moment

This isn’t just a quote you see on Tumblr, people!! To live in the moment, you must appreciate where you are at the moment you are there. Take a minute to also appreciate your surroundings. Smell the roses! The present is right now so why not make it the best?

6.     Get some exercise

Exercising is not just about losing weight. Studies have shown that people who exercise experience lower stress levels. Less stress? Imagine that! A good exercise requires about thirty to sixty minutes of your time. That’s about the same running time of a Walking Dead or Breaking Bad episode guys!

Life. School. Love. Why shouldn’t all areas of our life be filled with positivity? Think of life as a recipe for your favorite cake. The sugar should be positivity. So go on. Get to cooking on that positivity!