The Not-So Obvious But Way More Awesome Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

It’s finally summertime, and the living is definitely easy. If you’re not jam packed with summer session classes or a part-time job, then you know the never ending struggle of figuring out what to do over break. I’ve been on summer vacation for less than a week and already I have sunken into the inevitable phase of sheer and utter boredom. 

Me too Jim, me too. 

Enough is enough. I refuse to spend my last summer as an undergraduate student stuck in my apartment scrolling Tumblr, and I refuse to let you do the same! Let’s weigh our options:

Ever since high school, I’ve had an extravagant, expensive, and cliché vacation bucket list to accomplish that never got done. After returning home from each glorious last day of class, I willingly fall into the hypnotic trap of Netflix and Law and Order SVU reruns without fail. We’ve all been there. But it’s time to move on my friend. It’s time to move on.

Now that I’m older and more determined to check these bad boys off of my list, they seem pretty average. I had to ask myself ‘Do I really want to do these things, or did I plan them because they’re what everybody else does over summer?’ Take a look at your summer bucket list and check to see if they match any of the things on mine.

Beach> YASS!

Finish that book I started last summer (at least three)

Road Trip ($$$)

Internship (if I can actually find one)

Concerts ($$$)

Any matches? If so, we’re soul sisters! And we’re both pretty predictable. If there are no matches, then we may not be soul sisters (tear) but you might be on the right track to making your summer unforgettable. In addition to all the normal things people do over summer, I made a new list of things I might have never thought to attempt. After my long awaited trip to the best beaches Southern California has to offer, I’m learning everything there is to know about patio gardening! Here’s a list of 40 unpredictable festivities to partake in this summer. Look it over, steal some ideas and come up with your own unpredictable summer bucket list!

The Not-So Obvious But Way More Awesome Summer Bucket List:

1. BUILD A DARKROOM

2. BECOME A DJ

3. MAKE A NEW FOOD DISH EVERY WEEK

4. REVAMP YOUR JEWELRY COLLECTION

5. VISIT ALL OF YOUR POTENTIAL GRAD SCHOOLS

6. BECOME AN EXPERT ON ITALIAN FILMMAKING

Cinema Paradiso, 1988 Dir. by Giuseppe Tornatore

7. WRITE TO A PENPAL

8. FIND THINGS IN YOUR APARTMENT YOU NEVER USE AND SELL THEM

9. CHANGE UP YOUR WARDROBE

Find a few fashion icons that you can look up to for the latest trend advice. Switch out your old clothes for new pieces little by little. before you know it, you’ll have completely changed your wardrobe!

10. MAKE A MINISERIES USING ONLY YOUR PHONE CAMERA

11. SEW A DRESS

12. DESIGN A TSHIRT

I could have totally made that. 

13. DIGITIZE YOUR BURNT MIX CDS FROM 2007

14. START A NEW COLLECTION

15. BECOME A COFFEE CONNOISSEUR

I don’t know how you decaf people do it. 

16. TEACH YOURSELF PHOTOSHOP

17. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE

18. DRIVE TO PORTLAND, OREGON

Why not? I hear they’re pretty hipster up there. 

19. START A CLUB ON CAMPUS

20. START A NEW PODCAST

21. SOLVE A MYSTERY

We all wanted to be them back in the day. Take on an issue or problem in your commuity and try to solve it. The original ‘Super Duper Snoopers’ would be proud. 

22. CHANGE YOUR MAJOR

23. START A VLOG CHANNEL

24. GET SUPER INTO A NEW GENRE OF MUSIC

Listen, and enlighten your life. 

25. BECOME A MASTER AT LUCID DREAMING

26. WRITE A SHORT STORY

27. VISIT EVERY BOOKSTORE IN THE INLAND EMPIRE

This one is right downtown! 

28. START A PATIO GARDEN

29. LEARN TO DRIVE A STICK SHIFT

30. PLAY THE STOCK MARKET

Make it rain. 

31. GO SKYDIVING

32. LEARN TO PLAY THE SAXOPHONE

33. BECOME A CAMP COUNCELOR

Please tell me I’m not the only one who wanted to be on this show! If you love working with kids, look for opportunities to become a coucelor or summer mentor.

34. PAINT A SELF PORTRAIT

35. START A BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT WITH FRIENDS

36. PAINT YOUR DESK A DIFFERENT COLOR

Change your desk to give your room or apartment a fresh feel. Don’t be afraid to get crazy!

37. VOLUNTEER AT AN AMINAL SHELTER

38. LEARN TO CODE HTML AND CSS

39. CUT YOUR HAIR

40. LEARN ABOUT A NEW RELIGION

I know, it’s an awesome list. 

Until next time,

-Raven

Raven Morris

UC Riverside

I'm a 3rd year Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside
UC Riverside

UC Riverside